Letting Go

My dear son,

My dear son,

I prepared everything so that at least Soo-hui would be able to escape safely. I will deal with Choi Soo Ryeon on my end so don't worry. You just focus on getting your sister and yourself to safety. I want you both to find yourselves where you can settle down and have peaceful lives. I gave Soo-hui 50 million, use that to get yourselves by. Find a job that you'll enjoy and keeps you out of trouble. Get yourself a woman and cherish her. I thank whoever becomes my daughter-in-law. Have lots of children to keep yourselves busy. And give my future grandchildren my love. Lastly, thank you for allowing this old man to become your father. Never did I think that the young boy determined to save his younger sister's life would enter changed my life and change it in ways I never expected. I will never forget you and always cherish our time together.

Love, Lim Ji-rok

Your Father

"I tried to convince abeoji to come with me, but his mind was set." She lets out a quiet laugh despite tearing up. "He's so stubborn. Who does he think he is? Trying to act all cool. It felt like he was trying to be our superhero or something..."

A few tears drop onto the letter and Soo-hui looks to notice her older brother crying. The act alone makes her let out a sob and wraps her arms around him.

Chung-ya places the duffel bag on the table and pushes it towards Seung Hee. "I believe this belongs to you."

"...Thank you." Seung Hee says with a grateful smile.

"There was another 200 million though. That bonus amount was meant for Hana." Chung-ya reveals surprising them. 

"...What was the password?" Hana asks after a moment of silence.

"...The last one. January 24th, 1968." Chung-ya answers with a sympathetic look.

"The day he killed Il-sung?" Seung Hee scoffs. "What? Did he want to always remember the day he achieved victory by taking away from his brother?"

"Eomma... I don't think that's it. I know you don't want to hear this, but I think appa's death really affected him. For the past twelve years, he would talk about him, and we would visit appa's shrine every month." Hana tells her with a gloomy look.

"She's right. He did seem remorseful when I asked about his brother." Chung-ya agrees, surprising Seung Hee. "I'm not going to tell you to give him a chance, you shouldn't. He doesn't deserve it. But... I think if things had turned out differently, he would have been a good brother."

"...Hana. Do you know why snowdrops are your favorite flower?"

"Hmm?" Hana blinks, confused by her mother's random question. "Because they represent hope. Oh, and it was the first bouquet I received from a secret fan on my first stage play! Don't tell Hee Tae about that though, he'll get jealous."