Attack On The Scouts Part 3

Armin Pov

I wonder what Eren is doing right now.

He sat next across from Mikasa in the dull hall, light shining into the room where rows upon rows of the Scouts sat. All of them were trying to find some way to entertain themselves while they all waited. Many read, read books or simply talk among themselves.

He and Mikasa, unlike everyone else, were playing chess. Beside them sat Connie and Sasha, who had both taken to staring outside the window, waiting for something to happen.

They had been here for days now, doing the same things again and again while they waited for some orders. But none had come.

They probably suspect there are more traitors among us, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were. How did we not know about Reiner, Bertholdt and... Annie? Why were they sent here to kill us? We didn't do anything to the rest of the world, so why do this to us?

"Armin," Mikasa said, drawing him from his thoughts. "It's your turn."

"Oh, sorry. I got distracted," he replied placing his attention back on the game of chess before him.

The game had been going on for quite some time now, with Mikasa going far more aggressive than he would have liked.

She had taken most of the Pawns, but throughout her bloody assault, he had taken some of her best pieces. Fighting a kind of guerilla campaign by keeping his pieces always on the move.

But she had kept back King, with the queen for defence. It was something that he had picked up on throughout the games they had played over their time here. She always kept the two together.

He moved a bishop to H4, trying to make her move her best pieces back to defend the king. It was a tactic that specifically worked with her, and though he had once tried it on Eren he let the king fight on alone while he had tried to take and kill all of his pieces.

I wonder what it would be like playing again Eren. He would probably go all in like Mikasa, leaving no piece behind. Or old Eren would have done this. The newer version of Eren would probably play completely differently.

As he hoped Mikasa started moving back her best pieces, starting with her remaining Knight. Which she moved from A3 to B5.

But come to think of it, it's been years since the reckless Eren disappeared. Strange how time flies by.

After staring at the board for a moment he looked up at Mikasa. Ever since she and Eren had been separated she had been different, her eyes duller and less motivated. She ate the bare minimum and even then she had slowly become gaunter over their time here.

She had got even worse after hearing about Eren being resummoned to the military Tribunal.

This can't go on. If Eren doesn't tell her soon then I may have to take matters into my own hands. Letting this one-sided love continue would be stupid.

"Mikasa," he said slowly. "Eren will be fine. The tribunal is likely already over by now and he'll be off the hook. You do not need to worry about him."

Mikasa didn't reply. Instead, she stared into his eyes a dark fury behind them. A fury he didn't want to disturb, at least not yet anyway.

Returning to the game, he once again moved his bishop. This time to G3, directly along from her to King who was in B8. In response she moved her king to A8, trying to escape his bishop.

But before he could play a voice suddenly spoke out, distracting him from the game.

"You know, my village just happens to be a little bit south of here," Connie said loudly and lazily while leaning on the table.