; savior ; fluff + angst + semi-romantic (?)

helloooo i decided to do the jeb x reader lol :sob: artist is chimeraartist i believe :D

~

He looked so tired recently. 

I do admit, work has been tough on him. Poor Christoff. 
Christoff has been a friend of yours for so long. Seeing him go into this descent of madness all because work's been piling up, and he wouldn't let me help!

I saw Jebediah praying in his office every morning, it's not like he ever even left his office. I felt terrible, I felt how miserable he felt.
I loved this man, so so dearly and seeing him be like this was rather heartbreaking. Truthfully speaking..

I stepped into his office, holding a packet of results from a test we just ran mere moments ago, when I noticed Jebediah half-asleep, his head laying on his desk.

"Jeb, you good?" I ask, pulling up a chair beside him. What kind of question is that? He doesn't look remotely okay.
He only mumbled a small 'mhm', turning his head away from me. I sigh and pulled him over to me, shocking him a little. He was shorter than me, so it was pretty easy to just yank this guy wherever.

He grumbled and buried his face into my collarbone, looking embarassed, I rolled my eyes and brushed his hair out with my fingers. His hair was surprisingly very soft , it was a pleasant surprise though.

"C'mon, what's been troubling you?" I ask, looking down at him.

"... Work.." He said in a quiet tone, gripping my lab coat.

"Why don't you ever let me help? You've been takin' a lot of responsibility onto yourself lately, it isn't healthy.. When's the last time you even slept properly? You got some major eyebags."

He chuckled softly, rubbing his eyes, "about.. Yesterday, I suppose."

"You're lying."

Jebediah sighed quietly, "three days."

"Three damn days? Jeb, you need to sleep." I had a stressed look on my face, holding him closer."
"I know, but I can't, the lord knows I need to finish my work before I rest any.."

"And the lord also knows a man needs to rest. C'mon, we're headin' to my office." I picked him up easily, holding him gently. He seemed to grunt and wiggle around in protest, but he was exhausted to the point he simply gave up. I smile.

In my office, I moved a couch in there since I usually pass out after work. It's tiring here in this hellish workplace, after all, so I'm surprised Jebediah is somehow still awake.

I quietly open the door to my office, the door creaking slightly as I close it and go to the couch. My workspace was small, with 2 desks and a couple monitors, the desks overridden with paperwork and test results. There were a couple of blood viles too, since we were beginning to experiment on mutations.

That doesn't matter right now, though. I laid Jeb down on the couch, pulling up my office chair to sit by him.

"This place is a wreck.." Jebediah mumbled with a small smile, looking up at me. He looked more relaxed. 

"I know, I was gonna clean it earlier today but I had to bring up some stuff to you."

He only laughed warmly and grabbed one of the pillows, my favorite one at that. I smiled a little.

".... Hey, [NAME], can I tell you something..?"

"Of course, anything." I grabbed his hand, squeezing it.

"..."

"I know what this company is doing, they're starting to sprout up a new agency due to this guy goin' around. Hank. They're apparently naming it Agency Against Hank Wimbleton.."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. It's beginning to take a toll on the outside world too... Have you noticed the sky getting redder?"

"Huh.. I- I guess I have, why? Are they causing it?"

"Not exactly, but this place is getting driven to madness. That's why we're having to conduct so many tests and do more work than usual. We're preparing the agents to go against Hank."

"What's Hank's goal?"

"... From what I've heard, he wanted to get the Sheriff."

"Oh man, him?" I frown a little. Sheriff was a decently cool guy, we used to talk a bit. "Why him?"

"I'm not sure, but I have a feeling we'll know soon.."

There was a strong silence between us, with me just caressing the top of his hand with my thumb with a worried look. Jebediah looked rather blank himself.

"I plan on busting out of here with the halo Phobos recently invented, to make himself a 'god' or whatever he talks about."

"Really..?"

"This place will end up going to madness eventually, I have to do something. Hofnarr.. Hofnarr's already not been doing well."

I knew how much Hofnarr meant to Jeb. I felt like crying a little.

"... The only reason I'm telling you this, is because I have a very important question, [NAME]."

"What is it, Jeb?" My voice was soft with worry, holding his hand tighter.

"I found out there was another invention Phobos made. It.. Seems like a halo, just like the other, but.. Different. I don't know what it is. It's a deep color that looks shattered, but.. I have a feeling it could help me. It could help us." He seemed so stern, I knew this was serious. Deathly serious.

My mind blanked out, I.. I loved Jebediah, doing this would be an honor, but..

But.

It was such a big responsibility, I don't know what to do.. I just wanted to live a normal live but this is serious, it's an extreme situation.

"Okay." I blurted out. What the hell?! I mean.. I mean I wanted to, but I didn't want to confirm it that fast-!

"... Thank you, [NAME]. I think we'll go far with this. Maybe we can stop things before it's too late." Jebediah smiled at me. He looked so.. Relieved. I can't be mad at myself, he seems to be happy I've accepted.

I couldn't help but smile as well, "of course. It'd be great to do this with you, you're truly a man with a golden heart." I murmured, looking a little embarrassed.

"You're holding my hand very tightly, it.. Kind of hurts. Are you okay?"

"OH- Oh, yeah, uh, I'm fine, yeah!" I let go of his hand, rubbing the back of my neck while giggling.

He laughed, and for the first time in a while, he genuinely looked happy.

~

1k words lets GOOOooooo this was intended to be a little fluff but then i thought "yo im gonna make it angsty" so uh, yeah :skull:
i had a lot of fun writing this!!!!!!!!