Chapter 9

Lana woke the next morning with the feeling of Dream's kiss still lingering on her lips. Had last night been real or had she just imagined the entire thing? As much as she didn't want it to be real, she really didn't want to be dreaming about kissing the man who'd had nothing good to say about her since the moment they'd met.

She sat up, running a hand through her tangled hair. She'd forgotten to dry her hair before bed last night and now it was a complete mess.

Lana grabbed her bag of bathroom items and slowly opened her door, making sure to peek into the hallway before making a break for the bathroom. Hopefully Dream wouldn't be awake for another couple hours, he'd been fixing his sleep schedule to try and align it with George's. Seeing that the coast was clear Lana ran towards the bathroom, throwing the door open and slamming (gently) behind her. She turned the lock and took in deep breaths, that was scarier than she had expected. Why did she agree to do this stupid competition?

For Sapnap. She needed to remember that he was her friend and she had done him a favor.

Lana finished her routine quickly; she'd already woken up later than usual and Sapnap had promised a beach day before their Twitch Rivals dinner that night. She gave herself one last glance in the mirror, her skin had been tanned from the Florida sun even though she'd spent so little time under it, perks of being part Hispanic.

"Sap!" Lana called, running down the stairs with her bag and towel in hand. No one answered so she peeked into his room, but it was empty. Maybe he was in the kitchen? She stepped out of the hallway and around the corner into the kitchen, but the only person there was Dream. He leaned against the counter, biting into a piece of toast.

"Hi." Lana spoke quietly, trying to avoid eye contact, "Do you know where Sap is?"

Dream swallowed his last bite before speaking, "He had to pick up Punz so we're supposed to meet him there."

We? What did Dream mean by "we"? Was he going?

Oh god, Lana wanted to throw up, she was supposed to be able to survive an hour in the car with him?!

"Oh, okay, well I'm ready when you are." She tried her best not to look awkward, but her voice betrayed her, stumbling over the entire sentence.

"Let me just grab my keys." Dream rubbed his hands against one another, shaking the crumbs from his fingers into the air.

This was going to be no big deal, just a drive with an acquaintance. No big deal. It's not like they'd kissed or anything... Lana wanted to die; this was going to be hell. She must've done something in her past life that was really fucked up, like some next level shit, to have deserved this.

Lana followed Dream to the car, waiting for him to unlock it to climb into the passenger's seat. She spent an abnormally long time organizing her bags at her feet, trying her best to not have to look at or communicate with him.

"Have you been to the beach before?" Dream asked, pulling into the Starbucks drive thru. He must have been reading her mind.

"Once or twice, not a huge fan of the ocean." Lana scanned over the menu, pretending to think over her order, even though she got the same thing every time.

"Then why the beach day?" Dream laughed, looking at her before turning back to order his drink.

"What else is there to do in Florida?" Lana leaned over the console trying not to get too close to Dream but wanting the worker to hear her clearly, "Grande iced mocha, please!"

"I guess you're right." Dream muttered, grabbing out his wallet and handing his card to a lady with brightly dyed hair at the next window.

"Want me to Venmo you?" Lana asked, she didn't want to assume that he would be paying for her drink.

"It's fine." He told her, handing the cold drink over to her. The cup froze her hands, cooling down the heat that Lana's anxious body was radiating. "Thank you." She told him, taking a long sip of her chocolatey drink.

"I don't understand how you can drink anything with mocha from this place, it always tastes like chalk." Dream remarked, pulling out of the parking lot and back onto the busy street. He was right, the mocha did always taste like chalk, but Lana always got it, and her usual coffee shop didn't have any locations in Orlando.

"I only drink mochas." Lana shrugged her shoulders, settling into the uncomfortable silence that followed. Neither of them had much to say, and Lana was sure the Dream was probably thinking about the kiss as much as she was.

Maybe she should say something? What if she just cleared the air really quick? How bad could it be?

"Look, Dream." No going back now, she was going to have to commit to finishing this conversation, "about last night..."

Dream cleared his throat, sighing loudly, "That was a mistake, and I'm sorry, but I don't see you like that. I was just being dumb."

Just being dumb??? So, Dream shows up in her room in the middle of the night and kisses her, because he was just being dumb? God, that was worse than any other excuse he could have come up with.

"So, you didn't want to kiss me?"

"No, I don't want to kiss you and I don't know why I did." Dream refused to look at her.

"That's fucked up." Lana fiddled with her fingers, maybe she should just say she understands and move on from this.

"I guess I'm just fucked up then." Dream's voice felt tight, and he gripped the steering wheel tighter, "I've got a lot of shit I'm dealing with, and I didn't know what I was thinking, just caught up in the moment. I don't like you, I don't want to kiss you, and I don't know why I let you stay in my house this past week."

What the fuck.

This was worse than Lana could have predicted, she should have just kept her mouth shut. Had she been staying in his house, thinking that it was okay because he had told her it was, and the whole time he wanted her gone?

"Oh, alright." Those were the only words that Lana could manage.

Dream's face shifted into a look of regret, but he didn't say anything, he just kept driving towards the beach.