Chapter 16

TW: This chapter does contain some sensitive topics, so please proceed with caution. 

"Promise not to laugh?" Lana was sticking her head out from the dressing room, Dream was sitting on a small bench in the hall, waiting for her to model the next dress which just so happened to be the most terrifying thing Lana had ever tried on. Dream had handed her a pile of dresses that he'd deemed "appropriate" for the wedding's dress code. Unfortunately for Lana they were all ugly and not at all something she would hope anyone would dare to wear to any sort of function.

"Just get out here." Dream's voice sounded tired; he wasn't really a shopping type of guy apparently.

"Can you quit whining, you're the one who forced me into this." Lana wasn't going to let him rush her into buying just any dress, he was the one who'd tricked her into this wedding, so he wasn't really allowed to complain.

She stepped out from the dressing room, wearing a tannish yellow colored dress that fell just below her knees. The fabric was bulky and the sleeves poofed out just a bit, with frills along the chest area. She felt like a prairie wife.

Lana's hands dropped to her sides in a shrug, "I don't think I'll ever be able to trust you again if these are the types of dresses you pick out, this has to be a joke."

"What? It's just a wedding, not a fashion show."

Lana rolled her eyes, he had to be messing with her, but Dream's face kept a serious expression, "That's it, I'm picking out whatever I want." She stepped back into the dressing room and pulled her clothes back on, she was going back out there and choosing a dress that was actually somewhat decent.

Lana wasn't picky with her clothes, she'd grown up with not a lot of money so she was used to wearing other people's hand-me-downs or shopping at used clothing stores, but the pile of dresses that lay draped over the door would never touch her body ever again.

She hung the clothes back on the rack and hurried out of the dressing rooms, leaving Dream to hurriedly stand up and rush after her. She swiped through the racks, feeling the soft fabrics until she came across one made out of a silky material. The sleeves were small straps, and the color was light green. Lana held it up to herself in the mirror, noticing the v shaped neckline, it would expose some cleavage but nothing crazy.

She carried it back to the dressing rooms, trying it on quickly and admiring the way it complimented her complexion. This was perfect, she knew exactly how she'd style her hair and makeup as well.

"No way." Dream shook his head.

"Why not?" Lana asked him, crossing her arms in annoyance, "It's perfect, not too fancy and not too casual."

"I don't know..." Dream sounded hesitant, and Lana noticed the way he eyed how the dress complimented her curves. Her thighs had always been thicker, and the dress accentuated all of it. She knew she looked good, so why wouldn't Dream just give it the stamp of approval and let them both get out of there.

"We're getting it." Lana told him, not waiting for an answer before she strode back into the room. She changed and grabbed her things, letting Dream follow after her to the check out. As she pulled out her wallet to pay, Dream handed his card forward to the employee. "I'm making you go to this, it's only fair." Lana wasn't in the mood to complain or spend money, so she let him.

"Thank you."

Dream nodded, "Anytime."

"I'll take you up on that." Lana smirked before grabbing the bag and thanking the employee as she stepped back outside into the Florida sun. It was a nice day, the sun offering warmth while the breeze blew cold air through her hair. The loose strands flying around her face and up into the air.

"I don't wanna go back home." Dream commented.

"Why?" Lana turned to look at him as they made their way across the parking lot.

"Sapnap's streaming, he's gonna make me join." Dream unlocked the car, and Lana climbed into the passenger seat.

"And that's not something you want to do, I'm assuming." She wasn't sure why he didn't want to, but she got it. Sometimes the thought of having that many eyes on her made her feel so drained. Watching every face you make, analyzing every tone of voice and sentence. It was all so exhausting, having so many people with so many different opinions and ideas of right and wrong.

"Not really."

"Then let's go somewhere, it's almost sunset." Their eyes locked and Dream gave her a small grin before starting the car and pulling out of the parking lot. He drove them to a beach, there were only a few people along the coast, it was nice. The air felt cool and the sand was soft, she flopped onto the ground feeling the grains between her fingers.

"I'm really glad you're doing this, really." Dream spoke up, breaking the silence between them as they stared at the orange colors that filled the sky.

"It's no big deal, I'd do this for anyone."

"Oh." Dream hesitated before deciding not to say anything else, he ran a hand through his hair, peeking over at Lana. She could feel his eyes studying her features, and she put a hand up, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

"What?" She asked him, he smiled.

"Nothing, just looking at you."

"Well stop."

Dream grinned even more, "It's nice, being here."

"The beach?" Lana asked him, she'd never enjoyed being around water.

"Well yeah, but also not on stream." Dream sighed, leaning back farther onto his elbows, "It's so exhausting sometimes."

Lana leaned back with him, letting her head fall back onto the ground, "Yeah, it is."

"I just don't feel like I'll ever be good enough, no matter what I do there are thousands of people telling me it's not enough or that it's wrong." He took a deep breath before continuing, "I worry all the time. There are so many people that tell me every single day that I saved them, it's great, really. I'm happy I can help them, it means the world to me, but it makes me think about what if I change my content or what if I can't stream all the time? Will it be my fault if something happens?"

"Dream..." Lana sat up.

"No, I know, it's not my fault, but I see these videos on TikTok about how they wish someone were streaming because they don't feel good and it just makes me worry. There are times when I think about streaming but I'm too tired and then I remember those things, what if someone is about to do something and my stream could save them, and then I think about how many times that's happened and I didn't stream..."

Lana just wanted to grab him and tell him that it wasn't his fault, he didn't deserve to feel like that or worry about those things, "None of that would be your fault, you're just one person, you can't truly save or fix anyone and it's not fair to yourself to hold all that responsibility."

She placed a hand on his arm and looked down at him. She studied the freckles that were dotted across his face and his messy pile of hair. Dream opened his eyes, letting his green ones stare into her hazel ones.

Lana's hair fell over her shoulder and into her face, hiding most of it out of Dream's view. She was suddenly growing awkward, feeling his gaze on her, so she leaned back and laid back down beside him. The two of them lay side by side, just letting their breaths synchronize as they enjoyed the moment of peace.

It was odd to be at the beach and feel comfortable, every time Lana was by water all she could think about were bodies and swimsuits, it made her nauseous just to think about it. It was rare for her to be here and feel safe, and yet, here she was.

It was just Lana and Dream, laying side by side on the sand, and Lana felt completely at peace.