Chapter 10

Lana sat in the sand, watching as the boys passed a volleyball back and forth. How could he do that, smile like he hadn't just said what he'd said? As soon as they got to the beach, Dream's demeanor had changed, as if he hadn't just been a complete asshole.

She picked up a handful of sand, watching it slowly fall out of her grasp. Dwindling down to nothing but a few grains in her palm. That's how Dream made her feel, like nothing.

"Wanna play?" Sapnap yelled, but Lana shook her head, pointing to the sun and pretending to fake tan. Beach day was going great, tons of fun.

"What's wrong?" She looked up to see Punz, he knelt down beside her, stretching out his legs. They'd played valorant together before and talked a few times in person, but Lana barely knew him.

"Nothing, just tired." It wasn't a complete lie, she was really tired, but it was nothing her coffee hadn't fixed.

"I know it must have been awkward, but Sap was really glad that you decided to be his partner."

"Awkward?" Lana stuttered, what did he mean? Did he know? Why would he think it was awkward?

"You know, staying in someone's house who you barely know." Punz explained.

Oh, that made sense, of course he would think it would be awkward. Who wouldn't feel slightly awkward in that situation, it was normal. God, Lana needed to stop overthinking everything.

"Oh, yeah." She let out a fake laugh, struggling to come up with something to say, "It wasn't so bad, had a lot of fun."

"Really?" Punz's eyes widened with surprise.

"Uhh, yeah?" Why was he surprised, maybe Lana had stretched the truth a little too far. She had in fact not really had fun, but why would Punz not believe that?

"That's good then."

"Why wouldn't I have?" She tried her best to make sure her voice didn't sound accusing, she really just wanted to know what he thought.

"Oh, you know, Dream being sort of a bitch to you and all."

How did he-

"What?" Lana struggled to sound surprised, as if it hadn't been painfully obvious that Dream despised her.

"Come on, I was on your team for MCC, he was a complete ass." Punz looked at her, seeing right through every lie.

"Oh, yeah. I didn't think anyone really noticed, Sap never said anything."

"Dream is his best friend; he's probably used to having him be an ass every once in a while." Punz took a sip from his drink, tilting his head back to feel the sun, "Look, he's going through some shit, but he's a good guy."

Lana nodded her head, yeah, he was a "good" guy, for sure. If only he knew what had happened only twenty minutes before they arrived at the beach or what had happened last night in her room. The kiss that Dream had started. The kiss that had her heart clutched in his grasp, only for him to absolutely crush it.

"Thanks, Punz." Lana forced a smile, "I have felt pretty awkward, and this made me feel a lot better." It hadn't made her feel any better, but she just wanted him to feel like he had done something helpful. She didn't want to expose Dream; he was a dick, but she wasn't and what good would it do.