Chapter 6

The next morning when I woke up the birds were singing and I just knew it was going to be perfect! Just kidding, in all reality I knew for a fact the day was going to be crappy when I woke up twenty minutes late, had to rush around to make myself look bad, and then got a ten minute lecture about canceling dance practice. Just a perfect morning!

After rushing to school, and getting there late I was forced to explain my tardiness, and I didn't get a good look when I said to look this good. So here I sit in free period staring at that evil little pink slip declaring ii had a lunch detention. It’s not my fault, well not all my fault, the teacher was asking for it! I sighed and scribbled down the math answers before the bell rang.

Three periods later I sat in detention watching a cheerleader and jock make out, and trying not to punch them. The teacher had left us with strict instructions that were disobeyed as soon as the door shut. I desperately wanted to make a sarcastic remark, but defiantly didn't want to blow my cover. So I suffered through the terrible detention.

As I walked out, ready to go home, I was immediately confronted by Ashley.

"How was detention?" she said walking beside me. It was almost a caring comment, except for the sneer on her face.

I just forced myself to cower and squeak out "fine"

Her smirk increased with my answer and I was dangerously close to punching it off, but as she opened her plastic mouth Derrick showed up. Just. Flipping. Perfect. My already crappy day just got ten times crappier.

"Hey Emma, can I talk to you for a second?" he asked.

I instantly dropped my eyes to the ground, this guy was a little too good at reading me, and nodded meekly.

He smiled like he won the fricken lottery and led me to a picnic table randomly placed in the front of the school.

"So, I have this dance competition next Tuesday, and I wanted to see if you could come and watch." he asked

This was far too suspicious, he already suspected me so I can’t trust him, but if I do go I can figure out what he is up to. Suddenly one word popped into my mind, Gymnastics. I had a competition the next day and I couldn't stay out late the night before.

"Sorry," I said quietly while observing a very interesting spot on the ground "I'm busy Tuesday, but maybe another time."

"Ok, maybe next time." he said while looking very suspiciously towards me.

A honk drew my attention and I let out a sigh of relief, my mom was there to save me, and then torture me by going shopping.

***************************

While trying something on, my mom was talking endlessly about her job and anything else that came to mind, and soon as was inevitable we came to the topic of my dating life, which in turn led to my clothes at school.

While she lectured examined nagged and questioned I found an amazing dress.

After my mom shut up enough to look up she squealed in excitement and made me try it on.

I was going to a dance with Bree at Denver anyways, so I figured there would be no harm in at least trying it. Once I slipped it on I was hooked, it fit in all the right places and was short enough I could move freely while still looking elegant.

I nearly squealed when I came out of the dressing room. A collective gasp came from the people who were helping me shop. I smiled and nearly jumped for joy, it was perfect and I looked, dare I say it, sexy.

Suddenly I heard another gasp and turned around to see Derrick, CRAP!!!!