Chapter 8

Forcing myself to prepare for school that day was extremely difficult. As I stood outside the imposing building I took a deep breath to gather my thoughts and put on a fake mask. I knew today was the day Derrick ruined everything.

As I entered the school everything seemed normal, no one seemed to be taking notice of me. There was no finger pointing, no disgust. This only meant one thing Derrick was waiting to humiliate me publicly. I dropped my head and ran to my locker. Upon opening it I immediately noticed the large bag taking up half my locker.  That wasn't supposed to be there.

Cautiously I opened it to find the dress from last night. On top laid a little note.

Dear Emma,

It would be a crime for you not to get this dress, it is absolutely breathtaking on you. I know you don't have any reason to trust me, but I promise not to reveal your secret. I just find it hard to understand why someone as beautiful and talented as you would hide it. Just know wherever happened I am here for you. If you ever need someone to talk to, just call.

~ D

I gasped and nearly dropped the note. He wasn't going to reveal my secret.... Maybe I could trust him.... NO you can' trust anyone, not again.

With that final revelation I grabbed my books and went to class, determining to return the dress to Derrick.

*********

Thankfully I had managed to avoid everyone during school, and slipped out unnoticed. However, that did little to lift my spirits. I had dance today and there was no way I could skip.

As I arrived at the studio the last class was leaving. I took a deep breath nd strode in the doors with my head held high. I quickly darted to the locker rooms and changed into my dance clothes.

Quickly slipping into the back room, I locked the door behind me. I relaxed my muscles and began a stretching/warm up routine.

Once my body was completely ready, I launched into my most recent dance.  The time flew by, and as the end of my time approached I was happy I managed to avoid Derrick all day.

With that thought on my mind I hummed and grabbed my bag. After confirming that everything was in order I slid out the door and began a mad dash for the exit. Just as I thought I was clear, a hand grabbed my arm.

"leave me alone Derrick." I demanded ripping my arm from his grasp.

"Emma, wait! Please, just listen to what I have to say."

"I'm sorry Derrick, I just can't. I need you to leave me alone." I started walking out

He called for me, asking me to wait.

I simply grabbed the dress he got for me from my bag and threw it at him.

"Emma, please keep this, it was a gift, and besides what would I do with it?"

"Return it." I said walking out ignoring his protests

I wish he would never have come here, and we never would have met. Life was so much easier just pretending to be the ugly fat nobody, I didn't have to face myself when it was like that. But now Derrick was bringing up unwanted memories, and all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and cry.

As I pulled onto the highway a single tear broke through my mask, and slowly I felt myself melting. This wasn't supposed to happen.

____________________________________________

Sorry it's not longer.