Chapter 9

The next day at school, I kept my eyes trained on the ground. Who knows how many people Derrick has told. They will know I'm different, I can't let them find out.

As I walked through the halls, I was shocked by the lack of whispers and judgmental glances. It was almost like I am still invisible. Glancing around, I noticed that no one even glanced in my direction. Did he not tell?

I rushed to my locker, but froze at the sight of it. Someone covered my locker with cheesy apology cards. Surely they had the wrong locker. I quickly put in the combination and when I opened it a rose with a note fell out. I cautiously picked it up and glanced around before reading it.

Emma,

I am so sorry. I don't know what happened to you, and I'll even admit I don't know much about you. But I know that no one should be alone and invisible. You are so beautiful and strong, I just want everyone to see that. I want them to stop mocking you, to see what I see.

You are truly the most beautiful girl I have ever met! When I saw you in that dress you took my breath away. I knew you had to get it, so I bought it for you.

Please accept my apology,

Derrick.

As soon as I finished the note I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning I saw Derrick there with a wrapped box, no doubt containing the dress, and a bouquet of flowers.

"Am I forgiven?" he asked.

I glanced around, this whole display had caused quite the commotion. people had gathered and were pointing and whispering.

I gulped and took a deep breath. The look on Derricks face was terrible, he looked so guilty, like he had kicked my puppy.

" Derrick, I.." I stuttered. "I can't do this any more."

I slammed my locker and rushed out of the school. I heard him yelling after me, but just kept running.

Obviously doing gymnastics had me in good shape, so I quickly lost him.  I ran into my house, tears streaming down my face.

"I'm ready mom, I'm done trying to be normal." I said

She walked out of her home office looking hopeful.

"Are you sure sweety?" she asked

I nodded. "I'm ready to give it another try.

***************

Over the next few days We sold our house and mom took me out of school.

Mom was at home finishing packing and I stopped in at Janin's dance studio.

"Hey sweetie, its been a long time, Derrick's been asking about you." She said

I forced a smile.

" Janin, I'm moving. So I'm just here to pick up the last of my things." I stated, not looking at her.

"oh dear, I'm so sorry!" she rushed over and gave me a hug. "i know it's none of my business, but does it have anything to do with Derrick?"

"No, I am just tired of pretending." I said

She nodded with tears in her eyes, and pulled me into another hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much deary." she exclaimed.

"I'll miss you too." I replied.

*************

By the end of that day we had packed all of our things and were ready to leave.

As we drove away i noticed everything looked normal, like the world kept spinning on. No one even knew we were here.

Glancing in the rear view mirror, i noticed someone chasing us.

"Who is that?" Mom asked

"someone from school." I replied

"Should I stop?" she asked

"No."

As we drove away I watched as he gave up and stared at us driving away. He got smaller and smaller, but I couldn't wipe the broken look he had from my mind.