Chapter 11

I nervously bit my lip as we awaited the results.

I had done a perfect vault, floor, and beam, but a less than stellar performance on uneven bars.

In order to compete in the Olympic trials I needed a win. I earned points for my time with the team, but it was significantly less than my normal amount.

The judges finished calculating the final scores and the announcer made his way to the podium.

"It was a tough competition today, you all did very well, The winner was determined by only a one point lead." he called out, causing my heart to race.

"the winner of the Denver invitational is........ Emma Lee Harper!"

I was shocked and relieved at the same time. Putting on my biggest smile I ran up to the podium and received my gold medal.

This was it, I would finally be able to live my dream.

****************

After the show mom set up a press conference to announce my re-entrance to the world of national level competitive gymnastics.

I smiled and sat in front of the flashing cameras and yelling reporters.

This was familiar, this was much better than having a normal life and going to a normal High School.

My coach sat next to me and announced that we were ready to begin.

The reporters all started yelling out questions and trying to get my attention so that I would pick them. For someone who had no experience with it, it would be very overwhelming.

I smiled ad pointed out a familiar reporter who I enjoyed his writing.

"Emma, where have you been for the past three months?" He called out

"I had personal issues that needed to be resolved, now that they are taken care of I am as strong as ever and ready to advance to the next level."

Another reporter yelled the next question. "Did your disappearance have anything to do with the male gymnast Liam Levrosa?"

" Well that was part of it, after suffering his abusive relationship and public humiliation as well as some private family issues, my gymnastics was suffering. I needed a break to rediscover my style and rid myself of unessasary distractions."

"Will your time off affect your future in gymnastics?"

"No, my gymnastics is always top priority, even though I was not competing I still trained everyday. You can still expect to see me at the Olympic trials next month."

"We have time for one more question." My coach called out.

The crowd got more desperate to be called on and got louder.

Not knowing who to choose I pointed in a random direction allowing A female reporter to finish the meeting.

"Emma what message would you like to send to your competitors, fans, and Liam?"

" To my competitors I would like to wish you all luck, as much as I want to be on the Olympics team so do they. We all work hard everyday, hoping that we will be good enough. I learned through my break that Gymnastics is a team sport, and we all need to support one another.

To my fans I just want to say thank you. It has been a difficult time but you all supported me. Every day I could get on twitter and be inspired by you guys. You are the best fans ever, and I hope to meet as many of you as possible.

To Liam I would like to say nice try. You thought I was weak, that your relationship, your abuse would destroy me. The joke is on you, I am back and stronger than ever. your plan back fired, instead of being crushed and destroyed I am ten times the person you will ever be."

"Thank you all for coming, I am truly sorry I couldn't answer all of your questions." I said, ending the meeting.

The press continued to call out questions as I walked off stage and towards my car.

When I started to enter the car I noticed something that made me freeze. Standing in the crowd was Derrick staring straight at me.

I placed a fake smile on my face and slid into the car, quickly closing the door.

As we started to drive away I forced myself to forget the look on his face.

No distractions allowed, I'm going for gold.