Chapter 3

Hiccup waited until she was out of earshot to go and 'get food' (which he seriously doubted was her main reason for leaving, but he had not yet figured out all his mother's little looks) to turn to Elsa.

"So what year are you really from?" He asked point-blank. Elsa concealed her shock well. Concealing was something she'd grown up doing.

To be honest, she couldn't quite decide what was the best route to take. On one hand, she claimed she was from Arendelle in this time and they sent someone out to find it, and it didn't exist. Or it did and they had no idea who she was, then what would she look like? Or she went with honesty and claimed she was from the year 1869, and live in ridicule for imagining such silly things the entirety of the time she was here. Oh rats- she should have just made up a place, and then been thoroughly confused when they could not locate said made-up place. But that was all said and done, and now she was faced with a dilemma.

In the end, she decided to stick to the idea that she was from this year, because she didn't trust this Hiccup man at all. She wasn't even sure if she knew anything about her feelings toward him, except a weird sort of connection due to the fact they were both leaders. But it was more of a respectful feeling than anything.

"What?" She asked, frowning.

"Please. I know that face. A hundred years in the future? Two hundred?" He questioned, glancing at her. In his honesty, he wasn't even sure if his hunch was right at first. But from her 'what' which-oh, it was almost convincing- he was quite sure that she believed herself to be from another year. He half wanted to laugh and say she bumped her head too hard, but another part of him was thrilled by this idea.

"I'm from 950 BC." Elsa answered evenly.

"Are you sure?" He asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Is this how you make your guest feel comfortable?" Elsa asked disgustedly, "Interrogating them to see if they're crazy?" She asked pointedly. Hiccup grunted, realizing that perhaps his curiosity had come out a little too strongly, and shook his head. Besides, he could tell she was going to go with her lie for at least tonight, and he'd work on that later.

"Where are you from again?" He asked, glancing her over.

"Arendelle, Norway." She said tensely, and he sat straight up.

"Norway, eh?" He asked, "If I showed you a map, could you tell me where it is?"

It was Elsa's turn to be a little rude. "You have maps?" The words spilled from her lips before she knew what she was saying. The end of the sentence was of course 'in this time period' but really, with the house and all, it could be in this society too.

Hiccup looked taken back. "Yes we have maps! What kind of place do you think this is? Don't answer that." He replied, and went to a cupboard, "Norway is another popular Viking place, so these maps were made by yours truly and some fellow adventure seeking people." He informed her with pride.

While he rummaged, a thought crossed his mind, "You said you rule alone? Did you husband die or leave or run away in terror or something?" He couldn't stop from throwing that last bit in, but Elsa just quirked an eyebrow up.

"No. I've always been the Queen. I don't need a male to rule." She stated. Hiccup gave a little cough.

"What kind of place is that?" He asked, "Women have power here, but they could never be the chief!" Not that he hadn't thought that Astrid had been a much better chief than he could ever be, and had often been frustrated at such gender specific roles in the community. No one seemed to bother, though, not even Astrid questioned them, making Hiccup feel like this was at the moment useless to pursue. A Queen on her own? That was very intriguing to him.