Chapter 30

Ophelia arrived at the Visithug Island just as the sky was darkening, per her perfect calculation in her plan. It was the un-obvious choice to most she hoped, or at least to her parents. It was the farthest island out, being the relative newest addition to the tribes, and if they were being time conscious, they would have stopped to see Lyal first.

But, Lyal's island was closer so if anyone were looking for them, they'd go there first. Ophelia wanted them to be long gone by the time they swooped back around and on their way out. She was the first to arrive, although the rest of the group wasn't long after. In fact, Isis was the second member to arrive, and she slugged up onto the grass near the forest at the edge of the Visithug Island and lay there, eating the wildflowers that grew there.

"Woah," Sigird said, jumping off her dragon just before it landed, "You're father gave a good chase, Ophelia. But Kottr and I got away." She said, nuzzling her leopard-like dragon affectionately. Kottr's purr could be heard from a mile away when she was in a particularly good mood. While it often warmed Ophelia to see such adorable moments between a dragon and a rider, she did have to remind Sigird that they were trying to enter this island without anyone but Randolph knowing.

The rest of the riders appeared in close succession, and it seemed everyone had little to no problems, and hadn't run into anyone on their way in. The sky was completely dark now, and Ophelia's stomach rumbled. She hadn't eaten much today, as she'd been riding all day, and her (admittedly) impulsive choice hadn't left time to pack food. Luckily, Jor had stuffed seemingly half her kitchen into her knapsack, and passed around some dried jerky for everyone to gnaw on while they decided their plan.

"Jor, you're so perfect!" Gustav gushed, "You're like the mother of this group, bringing everyone food and keeping us alive. You'll make a perfect mommy one day." He crooned. Sigird made an obvious barfing noise to the side. Calder chocked on her jerky. Jor blushed, eyes widening, and looking pointedly away. Ophelia wondered if there was time to send him back.

"Odin, Gustav." Ull even said, wincing and dragging his hand over his face, "Tone it down a little, yeah?"

"What? I can't show affection to my little honey flower?" He asked. The 'no!' that sounded was unanimous and instant. His face darkened, and he muttered something about everyone else and their loveless lives, but didn't call Jor anymore gag-worthy nicknames.

After a moment of silence, Sigrid cleared her throat. "So, how is this going to go? When are we talking to Randolph?" She asked, swallowing the last bit of her jerky and standing up to brush her off. Calder scoffed.

"Us?" he shook his head, "I think so. I am the one he owes a deal to, not all you. I'll go in alone. No arguments." He said firmly.

"Excuse me?" Ophelia said, jumping up after him, "I think I'm the little leader of this group. You can't tell me I'm not coming." She said, following him. Calder spun, sighing.

"I would have done this same thing had you not beat me to the punch. I'm the eldest."

"Please, but you don't act like it. I'm friends with Rudolph."

"So am I!" Calder spit back, "I know I can make this work."

"What are you saying I can't?" Ophelia put her hands on her hips, "Because for your information-,"

"Dear Thor! Both of you just go!" Ull said, interrupting both and causing their heads to whip around, "Or we'll be here all night." He added.

"I think Ophelia is the leader. She deserves to go to." Jor said softly.

"What?" Calder fumed, "If anyone is a leader, it should be me!" He said, and looked around, but only saw unsure looks from everyone.

"Ophelia did start this..." Ull rubbed his back, "And she's a lot less impulsive than you are." He said. Calder looked at him blankly.