Chapter 9

When Hiccup finally returned home, the whole island of Berk was almost dark. Only a few houses had candles left in the windows, and those were those of either young adults partying their days away, or elders babbling with each other about the news of the day.

Him and Elsa.

At the top of the stairs, he made a bee-line for the guest room, which was now his room, as Elsa and Ophelia had taken over his own. It was fine- the bed wasn't terribly comfortable, but he was assured by his mother a down bed, and a large on at that, would be presented to him by someone for his wedding. Because you couldn't conceive healthy children on a uncomfortable bed, of course not. He thought this with a inward roll of his eyes, shaking his head.

His room's candle was extinguished, which was odd, because he always left it on, a beacon to return to after late nights out flying or sorting through paper work. He lit one, and went to his bed, and had to groan. He had often told his mother not to touch his bed, his place of haven, but clearly tonight she hadn't listened because there were pillows underneath the sheets creating a lumpy shape and-

"Elsa!" He startled, and she tiredly turned, "Uhh-sorry, don't mind me, just go back to sleep!" He instead frantically, and wished that someone had thought to inform him that Elsa had been given his bed. He didn't mind, but it was a little shocking to find another human there.

"Hiccup?" Elsa tiredly rubbed her eyes. He could tell that although she probably went to bed hours ago, she hadn't gained much sleep since. He understood the feeling of tossing and turning with the aftershock of news. They day after his father died, he stayed up nearly until the sky was turning light.

"Sorry, really, go back to sleep." He said, but Elsa was stretching, and turning.

"Oh, I stole your bed!" She said, "I can go and find somewhere else. Kick Hubert off…" She said with a yawn, and Hiccup laughed.

"Hasn't anyone ever told you not to tickle a sleeping dragon?" He asked lightly, and she blinked drowsily at him, but it was clear he had woken her up for the time being.

"Fairy tales." She said with a snort of amusement, and then ran her fingers through her hair. He looked over her, recalling what he'd told Camacazi, and a blush ran up his body, and he swiftly turned. Even in the pale light, he was sure his oncoming reddening face was noticeable.

"Really. You should go back to sleep. Things are going to start getting busy." He warned. Elsa gave him a half-amused look.

"You forget I've done all this before. It's been almost a vacation, not having much Queen work left to do." She admitted, "But, it's weird…I want to come back." She said with a little shrug, nibbling on her lip, "Do you think that's…odd?"

"You loved what you did. Few are lucky enough to find something we are so passionate about, and make it our life." He said, scowling, as he thought of his days pre-dragon. Had he been forced to live out his time as merely a chief, he wouldn't have felt powerful or anything, just trapped.

"Being chief is not yours," Elsa observed, softly, "But the dragons are."

"Yes." Hiccup gave an inclination of his head, "Dragons make it worth it. I wouldn't have nearly the political position without being chief, and fewer would have listened. But on the same side, I do care for my village. Vikings are notoriously brave-hearted, and common sense is not breed by many."

"You act as if they are all children." He expected her voice to be angered, but instead she laughed.

"They may as well be!" He threw up his hands, and threw one hand out, "This person falls off a cliff. What were they doing? Chasing a 'giant rabbit'." He threw out his other hand, "This person was trying to carry all their tools through a gigantic stream because two trips was just not a thought in their head, and they washed all of them downstream, except the knife which is now inside their foot."