Chapter 15

To both Hiccup and Elsa the most reasonable choice was to find an Omphalos. But even that was a long shot, because not only would it have to be within a reasonable time jump from when Ophelia disappeared, but also it would have to be close enough to travel. That is if anyone charted these thing at all, or perhaps it was just so helter skelter that they were silly in thinking that could ever work. And then, Hiccup realized, that they could not simply send a five-year-old into a portal alone, for the likelihood of the portal dumping her anywhere in Norway was slim as it was. And whom would undoubtedly go with Ophelia back home? Elsa.

This revelation caused darkness to grow steadily in his chest. He did not want Elsa to leave, nor Ophelia. It was so selfish but he hoped and prayed that an omphalos would never have to be found and that they wouldn't leave him. He had loved Astrid, but knowing somewhere in his heart that she didn't want to go was good enough for him. To lose two people that perhaps he loved infinitely more, and know they left him willingly? He couldn't even stand the idea.

And if it was years in the future and he and Elsa had a family, what would he be reduced to if she took their children with her back home, leaving Hiccup here. It was almost enough to make him want to follow, but he couldn't bring his mother or their dragons or anyone else because that would be too much. There was so much that now as he thought about it, he didn't want to leave.

Ophelia was talking animatedly in their yard about what she would do after she'd go home through the magic circle. Elsa was laughing, indulging her, but there was a pained smile upon her face. They'd told her that they were going to get her home, but it may take even years, so she just needed to keep hope. Was it a silly hope to entertain? Perhaps so, but it seemed that Ophelia had promised that she would not do anything more reckless, because if she was good, a portal would appear.

"And then I'll show mom my dragon. Mom will love it. Maybe I can bring one back for my sibling, Elsa!" She cried, "Wouldn't that be great, Hiccup?"

Elsa turned to see a hollow look on Hiccup's face. He swallowed roughly.

"Wonderful." He whispered hoarsely. One of Ophelia's friends called her from behind the fence, and Ophelia abandoned her doll in the dirt. She leaned into Elsa. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone anything. It's my secret." She seemed thrilled at the idea of having such a big secret all to herself and her two favorite people. After she had left, Elsa looked at Hiccup.

"You don't want her to leave." She said.

"Am I so transparent?" He asked with a wince, "But Elsa, you'd leave with her. She's only five." He sighed.

"Or maybe she'll be eleven when we find one." Elsa pointed out.

"You'd still send an eleven-year-old across the world alone?" He asked, and Elsa scowled, "Would you just take my kids away?"

Elsa was very silent for a long time.

"I don't know. This is all theoretical. But you need to seem like it's really going to happen. I won't lie to Ophelia and alter her memories, so this is a lie I can agree on making. It will keep her happy, but more, it will keep her safe." Elsa pressed. Hiccup drew squiggles in the dirt.

Elsa watched his careful, steady movements and changed subjects, "How many kids do you want to have?" She asked. The question seemed not to surprise Hiccup, which meant there was progress, as about a couple weeks ago he would have jumped at her topic.

"I don't know. It's not something I think about, numbers and all. I know I want kids, and I guess things just…happen. It's Odin's fate how many I have."

Elsa scoffed.

"In my time, we can control such things."

Hiccup gave her a disbelieving look, "Yeah right. You mean better than simply counting? It's the work of gods, not humans to control that."