Chapter 11

Elsa was making cookies with Ophelia in the kitchen.

"So…do you have a name for your dragon? It's been four days." Hiccup asked, and Elsa glanced up at him. He was perpetrating at his brow, and she wasn't sure if it was because he'd been forging her new saddle or working on his 'secret project' that she was pretty sure their future home. She gave a tiny smile.

"I'm just going to let a name come to me." She hummed with a small shrug, "I don't think she minds." Elsa said, "How did you ever name your dragon Toothless?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah! He has really sharp teeth!" Ophelia agreed.

"Well, when I first met him, he had his teeth retracted. And I don't know; it was supposed to be a joke, and it eventually just…stuck." He said, "I don't have some big long elaborate story."

"Shame. Ophelia was looking for a fairy tale with a damsel in distress and a brave hero." Elsa joked, and Hiccup sat, smiling. Ophelia took a bold lick from the bole with her finger, and sucked on it.

"I'm going to go and bring Hubert in here." She announced with a finger still in her mouth, and ran into the next room.

"You know…" Hiccup began hesitantly, "Her birthday is soon, right?" He asked.

"Yes. I wasn't going to make a fuss of it. It's only five." Elsa said, "Why?"

"Well…it's just that usually at the age of five, we begin school for the children here. At least a sort of education, everything from arithmetic to dragon taming." He said. Elsa set her spoon down.

"Do you think that's…wise?" She questioned, "Hiccup, she's not like them." Elsa hissed in a low voice.

"She's a kid, they're all the same. She just lived in a different time." Hiccup said, and Elsa scowled, crossing her arms, "Elsa…people are going to wonder more if we keep her stuck in here." He pointed it out.

"I just…I don't know if…she hasn't really realized I think that she's stuck here. She hasn't cried at all or anything." Elsa said worriedly.

"Perhaps she is taking it incredibly well?" Hiccup offered up.

"No." Elsa shook her head, "I…I read books on human nature and how we think. Really, I think it's such a traumatic realization for her she is literally not thinking about it. Trying to convince herself that this is all great and fun, but it could be really harmful if she doesn't come to terms with it soon…"

"Then perhaps school will help her realize?" Hiccup pressed, "Get some stability."

"But if we press it too soon, it may harm her even worse." Elsa leaned back against a wood piece of furniture, pressing one hand to her forehead, "I just…I don't know what to do." She moaned, "I'm not supposed to be a mother…not for another ten months, at the very least!"

Valka walked in with some fresh food, brushing off her feet. She took one look at the situation, "What's wrong?" She asked.

"I think we should send Ophelia off to school when she turns five, like every other kid here." Hiccup said, "But Elsa is worried Ophelia isn't…seeing reality for what it is. She took the news a week or so ago that she'd be here for a long time a little too well." Hiccup said shortly.

Valka nodded, and Elsa presented her case, ending up with tears on the edge of her eyes. She wiped them away with the back of her hand, and Hiccup resisted the urge to go and comfort her, because he was pretty sure they weren't at that relationship stage yet.

"I think…" Valka pressed her fingers together, "You're right, it could be dangerous." A flash of triumph exploded on Elsa's face, "But Hiccup is also correct. We cannot play favorites. Therefore, I recommend we start sending her for half days at a time, I'm sure the flee from your kingdom must have been very traumatic to being with." Valka said, "Perhaps if she begins to make friends, when reality does set it, it will be a bit easier for her."