Chapter 16

On the morning of the meeting, Elsa had an unexpected announcement.

"I don't think we should tell everyone about this." She said, waving her hand to make it snow. Hiccup set aside his notes on the food and the seats to glance her way, a curious expression on his raised brow.

She continued, "From what you said a couple days ago, not everyone is ready to hear it. No, more than that, not everyone would be respectful with the information." She said.

"Respectful?" Hiccup echoed.

"They would see it as a weapon. We're not in war with each other now, but agreements can be broken, and I don't want to give those that would most likely fight against you an advantage of knowing what I can do." She said.

"Then what do you propose we do? Tell no one?" Hiccup asked, a little hurt. None of his friends knew, and he was sure none of them would ever be traitors, and he didn't want to keep lying to them about Elsa's powers. But this was not his gift, it was hers, and she should have the say of what do to with it.

"No, a few people." Elsa corrected, "I will tell your friends and then talk to all the leaders. Those I feel to be good trustworthy people shall know." She said.

"Good and trustworthy aren't exactly common Viking traits, at least, not usually here. By exception, I'd say."

"You're good and trustworthy." Elsa said, tapping his hand. He gave her a scathing look, as if to remind her that he didn't really consider himself a Viking. She continued.

"Well, they're leaders. Mostly by blood, I admit, but there would be uprisings if the leaders weren't good people, wouldn't there?" She asked.

"Elsa, being a good leader and a good person isn't exactly synonymous terms." He said.

"I know that." Elsa snapped, scowling, "But I think that I will at least be able to find us some allies tonight. But let me decide who those will be." She said. Hiccup sighed, but in a relieved way.

"Okay." He agreed. He hoped she'd stick around, as she had been avoiding him like he was a deadly disease for the last couple days after the kiss that made him weak in the knees and kept him up at night.

But similarly, he expected the same was happening to her, and that is why she was avoiding him. And that made him feel good, that he had such an effect on such a beautiful girl that five years ago wouldn't have even looked at him, much less wanted to kiss him.

Hiccup and Elsa walked over to the dining hall, where previously the affair had been set up in long tables, perfect for an important and earth-shattering announcement. They declared to the very frustrated worker that they had decided to set it up as a festival instead. The tables were placed around the edges of a room, with smaller tables dotted along, leaving room for mingling and talking or giving the ability for the leaders to take their own food at their own pace instead of a formal meal. Most importantly, it set up for Elsa to mingle without arousing suspicion, for she could flit from small table to small table, giving ample time to gage the leaders.

From there, if they were good enough to be privy to such a war-tactic and power that she held, they would be quietly invited to stay after, but covertly. Hiccup was positive most leaders would drool at the prospect; something as important as this new leader asking them to stay behind for an announcement had to only be in their favor. While they were proud, they weren't stupid enough to go around announcing their good will. And if Elsa felt that they were stupid enough, although good people regardless, she'd hoped they would have a wife to relay the information to.

They left the hall with the cook stressed with the change of pace to the meal and the young people who were attending grumpily shoving the tables to their new places. Hiccup assured both parties that they would be rewarded for their cooperation for the last-minute change.