Chapter 21

"I'm getting married today." Elsa said the words over and over to herself in the mirror, watching the lights behind her flicker and morph her reflection. She couldn't believe it; it was almost surreal. Whatever gods they worshiped, it didn't matter…this was forever. She would live and die with Hiccup, however long that may be.

And strangely? She was not just resigned to this, but okay with it.

Despite everything that she should have been frowning about; being trapped a thousand years before her time, the possibility of never seeing her sister again, her parents not being here to walk her down the isle, Elsa did the improbable. She started to smile.

Her clothes were simple and not as ornate as usual. If she had been at home, her wedding dress would have been white and beautiful and full of gems or glitters or something. Anna, for being a princess, hers was almost funny to look at. For that she did have to be glad. For here, they did not wear anything special, for this was just another day. Another beginning.

There was a long light blue simple dress with a purple covering, and an assortment of necklaces from beads and other traded goodies laid out next to the chair. She almost braided her hair but did not, for she was supposed to keep it down today, and it was an unusual feeling. The cool air did not prickle along the back of her neck per usual, but instead was met by a sea of hair keeping her warm. There was a beautifully decorated cape, though, one fairly reminisce of the one that a thousand years from now, Anna would wear to find her sister in an ice castle.

Elsa's fingers shook as she clasp it. As horrible as those memories were, she would have never connected with her sister, never been who she was today. The castle would still be closed, and her sister would still be unwed. There would be no Ophelia, and even if her presence here was temporary, Elsa could not imagine loving another child (and Ophelia was not even her own) as much as she did. She couldn't imagine the strength of a mother's love, if this is how she loved a little girl who would one day- when she got home- sit on the throne of Arendelle.

Elsa couldn't imagine saying goodbye.

As Elsa walked down the stairs, she was giddy, almost. She hadn't seen Hiccup since they touched down and dismounted their dragons yesterday, but the idea of seeing his smile made a warmth spread from the tips of her fingers to the soles of her feet that she could not ignore. Was he thinking the same things, right now?

She had at first insisted that he stay at least one more night in his childhood home, and she could always bunk in with Kari at her house, but Valka had none of that. Hiccup, instead, stayed at their new house to arrange the finishing touches. She had no idea what to expect for a house. Hiccup was inventive, true, but could he really build a house? One that wasn't going to collapse?

Yes, perhaps she should have had more fate in him, but still she worried. It was natural, considering his own mother seemed a little uneasy about it too. She hadn't seen it either. Camacazi said she had, but she was unusually zipped-lipped. Of course, the one time her guilty conscious told her not to gossip.

"Getting cold feet?" Camacazi teased, looking as if she had literally just rolled off the couch into the waking world. She emphasized the word cold, the irony not lost on Elsa. Elsa stuck out her tongue.

"Perfectly warm, thank you very much." Elsa shot back, and Camacazi yawned.

"My god, this kid is already taking up my sleep and energy." She complained, and Valka hurried into the room, carrying things and looking frazzled.

"Your child is not yet behind it," Valka said, rolling her eyes, "If you had not insisted on staying out so late last night…." Valka said, turning with hands on her hips to shoot the young Viking a tired look, "You wouldn't be yawning."