34 - keys

Teacher: you can go
You get up and he takes you out of class
You: what's up bae?
Tayler: I'm going now
You: but it's like 9
Tayler: I had to give you something as well
He hands you keys and you're confused
You: why are you giving me these?
Tayler: this key is for the front door of my house these are for the windows and this one is for the back door by the pool and hot tub
You: ok thanks
You take them off him and are about to leave when he stops you
You: bae I gotta get back?
Tayler hugs you without warning
You embrace him even further and he kisses your head
Tayler: I'm gonna miss you
You: me too
Tayler: I love you I know we've never said that since we've broken up but it's true I never stopped
You: I love you too
Tayler: I gotta go now
You kiss him and you go back in
Tayler leaves and you sit down
You continue with the lesson until it ends
You go to history where you have to write an essay on Comparing and contrasting views of Christopher Columbus, European Explorers and Native Americans.

Your essay:

In any discussion of the value of history, it's important to include this important objective: "to build that bridge that links past and present history together." History informs the present, helps us to put order into the chaos going on around us, and to recognize that people who have come before us experienced and overcame many of the same challenges we are experiencing today.
Today we have a particularly pressing need to understand war. Before 9/11, few students had an interest in war. But now there seems to be a pervasive need to understand what causes war, what effects war has on society, what can be done to avoid war, or what can be used to justify our current foreign policy. That students are interested in this topic shows that our present needs determine, in fact dictate, what we consider to be important in the past. And the needs of society at a given time play an important role in how historians interpret the past.
During the 1950's, when the Cold War was just beginning, we as a society had the need to prove how superior our democratic institutions were to the Soviet's. Because historians are part of society, they too had this need, and found themselves writing "consensus history," i.e., they focused on what united Americans, rather than what separated them. But in the 1960's, as the focus changed to civil rights, women's rights, and multiculturalism, we had the need to reveal the injustices of the past and the conflicts that shaped American history. So historians found themselves writing the "new social history," sometimes known as "revisionist" history, i.e., they focused on what divided Americans.
Now you may say "That's crazy. The past is the past. What happened, happened. We can't have two different interpretations of it. One of them has got to be wrong." No, not necessarily. Each interpretation may just be telling part of the story. After all, there are things that unite Americans. But there are also things that divide us. So if we accept both interpretations, we get the total picture. Neither of them is wrong, they just didn't "tell it all," and were giving society what it needed at the time to interpret the past in a way that would help them to deal with the present.