Chapter Three: Expedition Part Two

{Reader's Point of View}

"Are the horses ready?" I heard Levi's voice call out from behind. I tossed him the reins to his horse and without another word we headed out. Our goal was to start in one direction and fully circle back while going through the other directions. We had planned to travel an hour out and nothing more for the safety of our cadets. It was silent between Levi and I along the ride. We had reached an hour out but still found no titans. They tend to calm down at night and perhaps they were all asleep for now. But I was still suspicious. As a breeze suddenly past I smelt something burning in the distance. But it didn't make sense, no one should be alive out here in Titan territory.

"Ackerman." I whispered to Levi.

"I smell it too."

"It seems to be past the hour out we agreed to stick to, should we return for the night or continue forward?" I felt hesitate to make a decision on my own. I needed Levi to call this one this time.

"If there's a fire somewhere it was caused by someone. I'm not for sure how anyone could have survived out here in titan territory for this long but if they're still alive it's our job to rescue them."

How did I know he was going to say that? I took a deep breath and felt myself shake. It was hard to see in the dark and knowing that there was a large enough fire to carry a scent through the air this late at night terrified me. I backed my horse up a couple of steps and I believe Levi had gathered the hint to lead on this one. I followed behind him and not long into our ride, smoke filled the air around us. I could finally point out the smell. It was a forest fire and it was spreading quick. This was bad news as the upcoming forest was a form of protection for us scouts. I began to cough, the smoke filling my lungs. My eyes burned and I felt faint. A part of me believed we should just leave as the forest wasn't connected all the way to where we settled down for the night, but of course that wasn't going to happen. I heard yelled in the distance. It sounded as if a young girl had been crying out loud. A few more minutes into our ride I finally was able to clearly hear the voice. It was in fact a little girl and she was shouting, "Daddy! Daddy!"

I clapped the reins on my horse and forced her to go faster, passing Levi. What was a little girl doing out here? I finally made it to a clearing with no smoke and saw a man holding a torch with what I assumed was his daughter beside her. He had created a ring of fire around him. I understood his need to escape the titans after him but he was a damn fool for lighting a fire the way he did. Suddenly I felt a large figure behind me. It was a titan. It was rather small compared to the others and thin. Perhaps it was sickly. Either way, it was still bigger than myself. It seemed as though it had been hiding and waiting for an opportunity to eat. I couldn't avoid its hand as it came crashing down. I jumped off my horse, just a mere inches away from the Titan's hand, as it squished my horse to nothing but a pile of blood. I had obviously landed harshly on my side but forced myself to get up. I quickly climbed the Titan using my 3DMG as it came down to lick the blood of my horse. I yelled as my blades dug into the nape of the titan, and it came crashing down with blood gushing in the air. I quickly checked my surroundings but Levi was nowhere to been seen. I rushed towards the man and little girl but it was go late for the father. The titan already had his grip on his little body. I knew there was nothing more I could do but try and save the little girl. I quickly attacked and kill the titan which had eaten her father by now. Her cries for her dad caused my heart to ache. I tried using my 3DMG to reach the girl but as she was in my grasp another titan's hand came down. She was dead and I was flung across the burning woods. It was hard to see anything in the smoke filled air and I should have known better than to rush my actions in such conditions. I heard the crash of a few more titans before Levi landed beside me.