Chapter Nine: Recovery Part Three

{Levi's Point of View}

(Your first name) looked over at me as she fully emerged herself into the tub, the water only hitting up just below her sutures. "I understand you're trying to be respectful and not look at me but I also understand that you can't help me unless you do so."

My shoulders relaxed upon hearing her words and I finally looked her way completely. There was no simple way to phrase this, she looked awful. Her body had bruises throughout but where the sutures were was nearly completely black and purple. Hanji would wipe (your first name)'s body down with a wash cloth every now and then so there wasn't much dried blood left but there was still enough to turn the water reddish. I didn't know how to help (your first name) in this situation and I honestly felt more embarrassed with each passing second. I felt even worse knowing I had practically forced her to bath in her undergarments.

"Is this your first time helping someone bath?" (Your first name) asked, though I'm not for sure why.

"It is." She chuckled. "Have you done it before?" I questioned wondering why she chuckled at me.

She nodded. "There was a time underground when I had to care for my abusive grandmother. I would have to help her bath often because she didn't care to clean herself. Though this is a first having someone help me."

"Tch. I'm not for sure how much help I'll be."

"That's okay. I'll guide you." She slowly lifted her hand to grab the sponge and hand it to me. "Let's start with washing my body first." I took the sponge and lathered it up with soap and water. I inched closer towards (your first name) to begin but couldn't bring myself to touch her. "Think about this..." I waited for (Your first name) to finish speaking before I did anything. "You've been married for many years and now you and your wife have started to slow down in life. She finds it hard to bath herself and needs help every so often, which you give her. You've been with her for many years and know her like the back of your hand. You've trusted each other all this time and would do anything for each other. You're comfortable with touching her. And when you do so by helping her bath you think nothing of it other than how happy you are to still have your wife by your side. You think about all those precious memories you've created with her over the years and continue to do so as you bath her." (Your first name) paused. "Think about what that would be like as you help me."

I looked at the sponge and wondered if her words would really help. I lifted it to her skin and started to gently scrub her. I started thinking about (your first name)'s words and started to envision a long life with a wife. Before I had known it I was thinking about (your first name) being my wife and helping her in her older age. My thoughts kept me focused and before I knew it I was washing (your first name)'s hair as she leaned back, massaging areas that hurt her the most, helping her get dressed, and brushing her hair. I was so focused I didn't even noticed it when she took off her undergarments and put new ones on. She must have done it when I was draining the water.

"Ah! I feel so much better." (Your first name) happily exclaimed as I carried her to the infirmary bed which she had been using. I had also changed the sheets and blankets on it for her before carrying her to it. I chuckled at her happiness as I lifted the blanket to tuck her in. "So, did it help?"

"Hmmm?"

"My advice? Did it help you?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. I hadn't realized that I was still looking at her as my wife. "Yeah. I guess you give some good advice."

(Your first name) smiled brightly. "I'm glad to hear that." She yawned. "I'm sorry for keeping you up so late but I truly appreciate everything you've done for me tonight."