28

⊱ ─── { Jeno } ─── ⊰

Upon setting foot back inside the cottage, Jeno spots Yeeun still sat on the floor beside the couch which Jaemin lies on. Her eyes are settled on his face, but her stare is vacant. She doesn't seem to notice Jeno enter the house, though he has to wonder if perhaps she just didn't care to acknowledge him. The latter seemed far more likely though.

"He woke up," Yeeun utters just barely loud enough for Jeno to hear as he shuts the door. He snaps his head towards his sister, finding she hadn't moved a muscle as she spoke. Her unblinking gaze remains on Jaemin.

"He what?" Jeno's brain takes a moment to process what she said before kicking off his shoes and turning his body around to face Yeeun.

"I didn't expect him to wake up for at least another twelve to twenty four hours...But he woke up briefly," she remarks.

"What did he say? What happened? Why is he asleep again?" Jeno fires off question after question as he takes a few steps closer to his sister.

"He wanted to know where you were...he joked about me being just like you since I lectured him to be more careful...he tried so hard to stay up, but he couldn't. He's still too weak," Yeeun finally blinks for the first time since Jeno came back. When her eyelids open, she looks to Jeno. "He's a real fighter, isn't he?"

Jeno think back to all the times he's had to save Jaemin from danger, not recalling a single time he's fought back. This causes him to shake his head dismissively, though he can't help the guilt that weighs him down like a block of cement in water.

"Well...he seems that way to me," she shifts her gaze back to Jaemin, "Such a strong, brave soul."

Unable to think of anything to say in response, Jeno allows for there to be silence instead. At least until Yeeun speaks once more.

"When we're you going to tell me he killed Taeyong?"

Jeno's lips part as he realizes Jaemin must have somehow brought it up.

"I uh...I was so fixated on explaining everything that happened involving Yuta that it must've slipped my mind," he justifies himself.

"The man killed the closest thing to a God in existence, but that slipped your mind?" she retorts disbelievingly, "You know, you haven't fully explained what's going on with Heaven and Hell right now. If Heaven is being run by Mark and you've been trying to live out some sort of faux normal human life with Jaemin, then who's running Hell? Is anyone ruling Hell right now?"

Jeno scratches the back of his head as he evades Yeeun's gaze.

"When Xiao tricked Jaemin into believing it was a good idea to venture into Hell to look for Renjun and I had to make a deal with Xiao to help save him...the deal was that I would give up my place as heir to the throne," Jeno comes clean, "Xiao has been ruling Hell since Yuta's death."

"Are you stupid?" Yeeun hisses bluntly, "Not only is that an awful idea based on how you described Xiao to be and how many times he's put Jaemin's life at risk, but you literally can't give up your place as the Devil. It's not possible. You can't just renounce the title like that."

"But you can help. You can help give my devil abilities to Xiao so he can take over. Xiao said you can," Jeno brings up.

"I don't know where Xiao got the idea that I can help you do that, but I can't. How the hell am I supposed to take half of your DNA and place it into another person? Pluck it out of you? You realize how stupid that sounds?" she grunts in frustration, "Because transferring your power over doesn't take away the fact Yuta is still your father."

"But what would that even mean for me if I don't have those powers? I mean, clearly I wouldn't be able to get them back even after I die if Xiao has them, right? So being half devil wouldn't mean shit. Xiao could still rule over Hell without much of an issue," Jeno insists.

"God, this is so fucking stupid," Yeeun says with a sort of exasperated growl, "Listen, I don't know what'll happen if we even attempted to do that. I just know it would have horrible consequences if we tried. Then again, I'm talking to the same man who fucked with fate just to save his soulmate, so I'm aware you could care less about consequences at this point. And yeah, I'm sure that whole thing caused some horrible issues for Jaemin that I'm sure to find out about any day now. I can't wait for that."

Yeeun's rant overflows with sarcasm to the point where Jeno has to breathe deeply as to avoid going into a rage.

"There's nothing wrong with Jaemin," Jeno bitterly responds, resenting the fact Yeeun was bringing Jaemin into this.

"I didn't say there was, but the fact you said that makes me think there's something wrong that you're not telling me," she points out, "Jeno, I swear to god, if something is wrong with this poor little angel and you're refusing to tell me–"

"I said he's fine!" Jeno raises his voice at Yeeun, struggling for several long moments as he tries to calm down before speaking again, "If you don't want to help transfer my powers to Xiao, then at least tell me how to do it so Jaemin and I can get out of your hair and you'll never have to hear from us again."

Yeeun exhales loudly as she seems to think over Jeno's proposal. She looks back towards Jaemin and frowns deeply.

"There's no guarantee your plan will work. You know that, right?" she asks much more calmly than before, though traces of agitation are still laced into her tone.

"Yes. I'm willing to take that risk," Jeno confirms, "Anything to help get me away from all of this."

An odd feeling fills Jeno's body, almost like a sense of dread. He doesn't like the sentiment that the words he speaks carry and what it means for his status as a devil. Granted, he was certain that this was what he wanted and that it would hopefully bring him one step closer to a better, more stable future with Jaemin, but he couldn't deny that losing such an integral part of who he is leaves a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Well...so long as you understand what's at stake and the uncertainty of it all, then...I'll help you the best I can," Yeeun concedes, "But there's no use starting tonight. I have to watch over Jaemin to make sure he doesn't overheat or have anymore terrible side effects. I'll get started once he's recovered. I suggest you get some rest. You can use my room for the night. It's the one over there."

Yeeun points at a door across the room along the wall to the left of where Jeno stands.

"Just don't touch anything that isn't the door or the bed. Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am," Jeno answers in a near murmur, "You'll let me know if anything happens with Jaemin though, right?"

"Of course."

Jeno nods, his anger slowly subsiding now that he's getting his way.

"Alright...thank you," he mumbles halfheartedly, earning nothing more than a grunt of acknowledgement from Yeeun, "I guess I'll see you in the morning."

"Yeah...goodnight," she seems to lack any sort of emotion in her words, but Jeno doesn't pay it much mind. He utters a quiet 'night' in return and walks towards the bedroom.