31

⊱ ─── { Jeno } ─── ⊰

Upon setting foot back in the cottage, Jeno finds the backs of Jaemin and Yeeun's heads side by side as they sit next to one another on the couch.

"No no, if I add that, it'll induce severe vomiting. Black aconite is extremely poisonous so we have to neutralize it with something else. But we could easily fuck it up if we don't put the right amount of ingredients in to balance things out. It would be less complicated to add echo violet instead," Yeeun explains as the sound of a page turning fills the silence between one of her sentences.

"But the notes say right here that it can cause hallucinations," Jaemin points out.

"Not if we add some pixy tulip," Yeeun denies.

Jeno's shuts the door and kicks off his shoes, finally garnering Jaemin's attention. The man practically leaps up from the couch and comes hurtling towards him.

"Jeno!" he cries out happily as he nearly tackles him in the process of jumping into Jeno's arms. He latches his legs around Jeno's waist and wraps his arms around his neck as he rests his head on his shoulder. "I missed you."

Jeno's brows knit together in confusion.

"I haven't even been gone for an hour," he responds.

"I know, but it felt like forever," Jaemin whimpers out like a sad puppy.

Jeno's eyes flicker to Yeeun. She has her body turned towards them and a similarly perplexed expression on her face.

"So...um...what were you guys talking about?" Jeno brings up.

"I was feeling sad so Yeeun asked if I wanted to help her work on a potion to transfer your powers to Xiao," Jaemin answers.

"It's just something to give you before starting the extraction spell that'll make the process easier and less painful. We'll essentially be purging the evil from your body and soul, turning it into something tangible like a liquid substance or...well...smoke," Yeeun clarifies, "At that point, Xiao can consume or inhale it, and the process will be complete."

Jeno nods slowly as agitation towards the subject fills him.

"Sounds like you two have been getting on well," he redirects the focus away from the impending loss of his devil powers, though he realizes the flatness in his voice makes him sound almost irritated by them getting along.

Jaemin kisses Jeno's neck ever so softly, almost as if he was trying to soothe him.

"I love you," he whispers.

But Jeno doesn't respond. He continues watching Yeeun intently as she shuts a large book and sets it down beside her before standing up. Jaemin whimpers at his silence, finally prompting Jeno to utter a quiet 'I love you' back.

"I've been trying to make sure Jaemin is well taken care of while you're not around. But it seems like he's recovered extremely quick...a little too quickly," Yeeun remarks as she approaches the two, "I'd like to think his stubbornness to see you again is what's pushed him to get better this fast. It's really impressive, honestly."

Despite the words that come out of her mouth, something in her voice and the look in her eye leads Jeno to think she didn't actually believe this. She was holding something back, and that doesn't sit right with him.

Jeno pats Jaemin's lower back gently, hoping it would make the man aware that he was still clinging to him like a koala bear and finally let go, but he doesn't.

"Jaemin, can I talk to Yeeun for a minute?" he says sweetly, "Alone."

Jaemin whines but doesn't verbally argue against it or complain. He releases Jeno before sullenly shuffling towards the kitchen. He pauses to look over his shoulder one final time before passing the threshold and fully going in to give the two their privacy.