33

"Yeeun?" Jaemin calls out the moment he passes through the threshold, "Yeeun!"

The door to Yeeun's bedroom opens, and although she appears calm and relatively eager to see Jaemin, the second her eyes settle on Jeno, the light in them dims. Any semblance of a happy demeanor fades along with it.

"What did you need?" she speaks politely to Jaemin despite the cold demeanor she takes on towards her brother.

"Jeno had another headache while we were outside. He...he said he was going to make me suffer until I wish he killed me," he gives an extremely brief summary of events that took place just minutes prior.

"He what?" Yeeun grunts as her jaw clenches.

"No, no! He didn't mean to say it, his devil side made him. He doesn't actually want to hurt me. He loves me," Jaemin insists as he wraps his arms around Jeno's torso, hugging him from the side.

"I'm sorry, but until we get this thing figured out and strip Jeno of his powers, he's a threat to you. If he can't control himself during these episodes, there's no telling what he'll do the next time he has one," Yeeun tries to explain. Jeno hated hearing her accuse him of being a danger to Jaemin, but he knew she was right. "You need to stay far away from him until this is all over."

"No! I won't do it!" Jaemin cries out like a child that's beginning to throw a temper tantrum because they aren't getting the toy they want at a store.

"Don't do this. It's not safe to be around him," Yeeun lowers her voice and speaks with a more assertive tone.

"I don't care! I'm not leaving him!" Jaemin squeezes Jeno tighter, practically huffing and puffing at this point. "You can't make me!"

Yeeun's eyes meet Jeno's, staring intensely at him as if she could choke him out that very second. Taking the hint, Jeno starts gently stroking Jaemin's head in hopes it would help somehow soften the blow of what he was about to say next.

"Baby...Yeeun's right," he speaks in a gentle manner, "We can't risk your safety like this. We need to stay away from each other until we fix what's wrong with me."

"No," Jaemin whines as if he were going to start crying on the spot, "Please no."

Jeno softly kisses Jaemin's forehead, frowning deeply at how hard he was taking Jeno siding with her.

"I'm sorry...But we have to do this. I don't want to hurt you again," Jeno murmurs as he nods towards Jaemin, signaling for Yeeun to come get him.

"But you won't! Please. Don't push me away. Please," Jaemin begs as his eyes gloss over. Jeno feels his heart pang at the sight.

"I'm so sorry," he replies as Yeeun places her hands gently on Jaemin's shoulders, "I love you."

"No!" Jaemin practically screams in protest as Jeno pries him off. He tries to patch himself back onto Jeno, but he's unsuccessful with Yeeun holding him back.

"Take him to your room to calm him down. He'll have to stay in there until we figure out what to do," Jeno instructs Yeeun.

"No! Don't leave me!" Jaemin screeches with tears flooding from his eyes as he thrashes against Yeeun's hold. He was surprised the smaller, thinner woman was able to keep him from breaking away. Even more so when she manages to drag him off with ease towards her bedroom door. She must be exponentially stronger than she looks.

Jeno watches them disappear into Yeeun's room, hearing only muffled, distressed cries as the door shuts firmly behind them. He feels his heart sink at the sound, but he knows he's unable to do anything about it. So instead, Jeno wanders towards the couch and slumps down into it. He sits forward and rests his elbows on his knees, placing his face in his hands.