4-Three's a Crowd

May 6

4-Three's a Crowd

Gabriel walked through the terminal. He was glad to be getting out of a backwater country and heading for a real city, Hong Kong. He had finished his errand, hand-delivering the heroin to the king's brother. He would have preferred to have an intermediary do so, leaving him out of the process so no trail would lead back to him, but it was too important a package. He spoke under his breath to himself.

"I couldn't risk any errors. My agency wants the power the gift will bring. With the royal sibling in my back pocket, I know I'll be able to manipulate the monarch as needed."

He was looking forward to the conference and all the entertainment available in metropolitan areas: the culture, restaurants, and opportunities to make money with connections. Kathmandu would be his last low-level posting. Eventually, he'd move up to Tokyo and London. Political office was a possibility. All paths were open.

He wasn't sure what to do about Kailani. She felt secure in their relationship. When he'd left her that morning, she had stayed asleep when he kissed her forehead. She hadn't stirred when he whispered to her.

"I'll miss you."

She was good for now. Kailani gave him most of what he needed in a relationship. But was she the right choice for his future plans? Options were good. She didn't know about his secret CIA embassy duties and believed he had been faithful. She was naive. He didn't have to think about her this week. During his time in Hong Kong, he'd do some networking and enjoy an affair. He was ready for a break from his lady and Nepal.

*****

Ana Caballo stored her carry-on and sat down in the first-class seat. She was early. Few other passengers had climbed aboard. She relaxed and closed her eyes. Adam had looked inviting to her last night, as usual. She almost had him. She knew he had feelings for Kailani but she belonged to Gabriel.

Adam had seemed vulnerable. After he'd downed two margaritas, Ana had begun flirting with him, nudging him, touching his hands, shoulder, and even kissing his cheek. But he didn't quite respond as hoped.

"Why don't you take me out on the dance floor?" The stereo played Yesterday. She would melt into him.

He shook his head. "No thanks, Ana. I don't feel like dancing. Take care." He had walked away.

"Dios mio!" she muttered, frustrated. She had wanted to explore that athletic body. Well, she would have another chance in a few weeks at the rock and roll night. And though Adam hadn't given her the attention she wanted last night, just about every other male at the party had done so. She'd worn a short skirt that showed off her legs and a tight low-cut tank top that emphasized her figure. Then she had danced sensuously. She saw that every man longed to take her to bed. Adam just needed more time. She knew he wanted her. It would happen.

Ana smiled. She looked forward to a fulfilling week at the conference but also was ready to renew a secret affair. She knew her lover felt the same. Kailani didn't have as strong a hold on him there. Ana had a week's sexual satisfaction coming up with Gabriel. They had adjoining rooms at the hotel, with a private passageway between the two suites. It had been two months since they had last met clandestinely. But now she had several days in a row with him. She'd make up for the lost time.

*****

Nearing the end of her run, Kailani sprinted to get her heart rate up, then she slowed down to cool off before returning from Ring Road to town. She had lessons to prepare for the new Peace Corps volunteers. The training began tomorrow.

Walking up to her apartment, she grabbed a clean change of clothes and a towel, then crammed herself into the bathroom. The shower was above the toilet. They cut corners on construction here, but it worked. It was no big deal to wipe off the toilet seat after it got soaked. And here she had hot water.

By comparison to my posting in rural Nepal, this is heaven.

In the field, she didn't even have an outhouse, much less a tub or shower. Primitive. Kailani remembered her time in the village, washing in murky ditches.

That was rough. I don't miss it.

After the shower, she dried herself, got dressed, and wrapped the towel around her long hair. She took a bite of a leftover burrito. Delicious.

Adam, thank you for this Cinco de Mayo treat. You're a good friend. I hope your solo trek goes well.

An image of Adam Scott ran through her mind. He had so many positive attributes, and to have overcome such tragedy. Admirable. She shook her head in sympathy.

Some woman will take home a worthy catch when she lands that one. Relationships can be fickle. If I had met him first instead of Gabriel, who knows? Timing is so important. I'm not into the rigid Hindu caste system here, where so many feel that their future is preordained. I know I have choices but my feelings are spoken for. I can't just decide logically who I have deep emotional connections with. I fell for Gabriel before I even knew Adam existed on this planet. So it doesn't matter. Yet what determines how and when we meet each other? Sometimes it feels like fate exists.

*****

Ana reflected, making a plan for her time with Gabriel in Hong Kong. They'd had only brief interludes before. But this gift of a whole week to hook and land him. She was confident.

She whispered, "Kailani, you're gonna lose him. When I'm finished, Gabriel will be mine."

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill