6-Siblings Plus

Monday, May 7

6-Siblings Plus

Sitting at home, despite being a member of the royal family, Nara Shah was furious. His dark brown eyes stared at nothing in particular in his private study. He was oblivious to his extensive library and expensive furniture. His brow furrowed beneath fine ebony locks as he reflected on his predicament. It was karma that determined the birth order of the fraternal twins. That Nara was ten minutes younger made all the difference. He was 5' 7", just two inches shorter than his brother, but stood far below his sibling in wealth and power.

My brother, Rajendra, is king. He lives in the palace. His wife from an arranged marriage is a beautiful and subservient spouse from the highest caste, a fertile mother of two sons, so his royal lineage is secure. Though monogamous and publicly devoted to her, I'm certain that my brother has extramarital affairs when he travels, though I've no proof. Yet my spouse died before we had any children. Why?

As head of the world's only Hindu monarchy, Rajendra controlled the government. The Parliament did the king's bidding. The nation followed his lead whether it benefited all of Nepal or only its ruler.

The king controlled what elsewhere would be nonprofits or government-run businesses. He was far wealthier than any other Nepali. Rajendra owned the trucking companies that transported goods from the Indian plains up to Kathmandu. He ran several other smaller monopolies. He was rumored to have enormous wealth in secret Swiss bank accounts.

One source told me his worth is probably more than two billion dollars.

Nara despaired. He didn't like karma's plan for him, at least not in this lifetime.

My brother has power, wealth, women, adoration, and so much more happiness than I do. All just because he was born first.

He groaned aloud.

The next day, the king would leave for Europe. He had been invited by Spain and Portugal, reciprocating the visits of their leaders' sons who had done some trekking in the Mount Everest region of Nepal. There would be a one-day nationwide holiday to celebrate the king's departure.

Nara couldn't believe it.

All of Nepal gets a day off simply because my brother is traveling. Ridiculous.

*****

The editor of Nepal's largest daily newspaper considered what he would write for tomorrow's edition. Their Hindu kingdom was not a democracy. Its monarch gave lip service to the freedoms in the United Nations charter. The Nepal Sun advocated for a free press. Sometimes the paper was allowed to speak its mind without consequences. Tomorrow would be, thought the editor, a day that he hoped would support such openness. But he doubted it would be true.

His editorial for tomorrow's paper was finished. He read it over and then called his publisher.

"Mr. Bhopal?"

"Hada, how many times do I have to remind you to call me by my first name. After all these years? Though we're not related, we share the same last name. Many think we're cousins."

"Sorry, Ram. Old habits. I called to say that I finished my editorial on the holiday for the king's trip."

Ram chuckled. "I can imagine what it contains."

Hada asked, "Do you want me to read it to you?"

"That's not necessary. We'll print it in its entirety, as usual." Ram sighed. "Are you certain you want to follow the same path as before?"

"Yes, Ram-ji." Hada spoke using the affectionate form of his friend's name.

"Okay, Hada. I trust your ability to write. And if history repeats itself, we'll be ready to bail you out of prison again."

*****

The servants of Rajendra Shah cowered in front of his highness. Two stood in the king's ornate bedroom, awaiting his communication. With its gold and silver furnishings, it looked like King Midas' home.

The king didn't often get mad, but if the help displeased him, they came to regret it immediately. There were swift consequences. Rajendra's power emanated from his dark brown eyes. He wore black-rimmed glasses that seemed to intensify his focus. He stood in front of them all. His 5' 9" stature seemed to be much greater due to the lesser stature of the servants. He only hired those who were at least six inches shorter than himself.

The king looked over the items they had gathered in preparation for packing into his suitcases. His traveling outfit lay spread out separately, also ready for his inspection. He delegated such trivial matters but knew he had to show his watchfulness.

These domestic workers were 'untouchables'. This no-status caste was officially outlawed, but it would never end. They would remain almost worthless, but their attention to detail increased when they saw him supervise them, even if briefly. And their motivation improved when they felt the glow of his presence. It cost him little time and the impact on their efficiency would improve how smoothly his trip went.

He spoke Nepali. "You have done well. Finish packing and bring the suitcases downstairs. Notify my driver, then take them out to him."

"Yes, Your Majesty." They bowed.

He left them and walked downstairs. His sons, aged four and seven, and his wife, Bina, greeted him. He stirred at the sight of her serene beauty and welcomed the boys' adoration. All three beamed at him. Bina bowed her head. The four-year-old held onto his mother's sari and stayed mute.

The older child said, "Namaste, father. I hope you are well."

Rajendra beamed within but kept a serious expression for them. "I am. I trust that you will obey your mother and the tutors while I am gone?"

He stated it as a question, but all knew it was a command.

The older son smiled and moved his head in affirmation. The younger one opened his eyes without saying anything. But that was enough.

"We shall miss you," said Bina. "In many ways."

The king smiled. There were no other servants or adults within earshot, so this allusion to his prowess in their royal bed was acceptable. When his sons were older, she'd no longer say such things in front of them. He'd miss waking up next to her smooth skin, sweet scent, and responsiveness in lovemaking.

"I shall miss you as well."

He turned to his sons.

"Now boys, off to your lessons. You must learn much so you'll be ready to rule one day."

"Yes, Father," said the older boy. The younger one moved his head obediently, in agreement.

Not for the first time, Rajendra wondered what would become of his younger son? He hoped that he would follow a more worthwhile path than his own brother had.

How was he, as king, supposed to cope with his younger sibling, Nara? Rajendra was decisive on most matters, but his brother had been an unsolved problem for many years, ever since his wife had died. Perhaps he was an unsolvable problem? Karma would dictate.

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill