34-Solace

Sunday, May 20

34-Solace

After Ana left, Gabriel knew he had to act fast to somehow make amends with Kailani. He grabbed a few things that he thought might help him apologize and drove over to her place right away, but she wasn't there. Leaving a note that said he was sorry wouldn't cut it. This was too huge. So he decided to wait until she returned. They needed to talk in person.

He slouched and shook his head. Gabriel couldn't believe that he had been caught with Ana.

*****

Adam heard the knock on his door. He didn't know who might be visiting. He looked around to see if his friends had left something when they had practiced for the upcoming show.

Maybe it's Joe or Pete? Probably forgot an item that I didn't notice they had left here.

He opened the entryway and felt surprised. "Kailani. Um, come in. Please come in. Glad to see you."

"Thanks, Adam."

"Are you okay?"

"No, but I don't want to talk about it right now." Her eyes look red and swollen as if she had been crying. "I didn't want to be alone at my place. Just wanted to be with a friend."

"Sure ... sure. Uh, please, sit down. Would you like some food or a beverage?"

"Maybe some tea?"

"Of course. I have everything we need. I'll boil some water."

"May I use your restroom?"

"Please. It's down the hall."

"I remember. Mahalo. I'll be out in a couple of minutes."

Dios mio. Why is she here? Don't ask. She'll talk when she's ready. Or not.

Kailani took her time. When she returned, she looked a little better, but still upset. Her face frowned. She felt down, but Adam decided to stay silent for now. It was so unlike her, but he knew not to inquire.

Adam had the tea, milk, and sugar ready. She mixed in what she wanted, a little of everything, and they sat in a chair. He and Kailani sipped their beverages, but he continued to say nothing. Figured he should let her talk about what she wished.

"Delicious., thanks." She saw his guitar. "You've been playing music?"

"Yes. Joe and Pete were here earlier. We're working on our routine for Saturday, some Temptations stuff." He had covered the other song sheets from her, with the song that he was learning separately, so she wouldn't see what it was.

"My girlfriends and I will do a couple of hits from the same Detroit recording company."

"Can't ever have too much Motown."

She smiled a little. "No, you can't. Are you playing the tunes on your guitar?"

He laughed. "I'd need an electric one, maybe a Fender, and also an amplifier for all of that at the rock 'n roll night, I think. I usually play folk songs and ballads with my Spanish guitar. So we'll just let the DJ play the Motown cassettes for us that evening."

"I've never heard you sing with your acoustic instrument. Like what kind of stuff do you play with it?"

Adam picked up the old guitar. "It's not much to look at. Some tourist from Madrid probably left it in Kathmandu when he needed money for a bus ticket. But it's in tune." He decided to start by playing an upbeat selection.

"If I had a hammer..."

Kailani smiled a little. She recognized it. She swayed a little in time with the rhythm. Later in the song, she added her soft backup to some parts. She had a higher voice than Adam, so it added harmony.