30-Inner Kingdom

Friday, May 18

30-Inner Kingdom

Nara Shah woke up feeling alert, something he seldom achieved most days. He loved heroin during the hours he used it, but loathed the drug's consequences all other times. He was trapped and knew it.

I hate my life. I deserve so much more!

He ate breakfast and began planning what he'd do today until he shot up and could escape his pain. He was sitting in his study when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in."

A younger version of himself opened it and entered. It was his cousin. Tau grinned. "Hello, oh mighty enlightened one."

Nara chuckled. "Tau, it is good to see you." They embraced.

"Nara, are you losing weight?"

"Some, but it is of no matter."

They exchanged pleasantries. Tau stuck to neutral topics, wishing to cause no offense. His cousin's temper was worth avoiding.

"How is your family?"

Tau said, "My wife and children are well, and send you their best wishes."

Nara nodded in response, then said, "I have a job for you."

"If I may be of service, you have only to ask."
"There is an American, Gabriel Cabot, who works at their embassy."
"I know him. He has a vague job title, but is really their CIA liaison."

"Yes. I want you to follow him and report back to me. I would be particularly interested if he is involved in anything I might use against him."

Tau smiled. "I understand. Leave it all to me. I employ a number of people who look like street urchins, and I know the man who works as his gardener. It will cost a little, but we will find something on this Cabot."

"Thank you, cousin." Nara pulled a wad of rupees from his pocket. As the brother of the king, he had an unofficial job that put him on the country's payroll. It was more like a family allowance.

But he carried more than just local money. He also pulled out American currency, something more useful on the black market in Kathmandu. He handed Tau two hundred dollar bills.

"That will do nicely. Shall I report to you next week?"

"Yes. Come back here Monday."

Tau nodded and left.

*****

The king woke up Friday morning. He was alone. His wife had been called away early from their bedroom due to a concern with the children. It was only a minor health matter, but the nanny was instructed to communicate with the queen immediately about any such situations. They could take no chances with the well-being of the two princes.

A servant knocked, then entered with the king's clothes, placing the day's freshly laundered outfit at the foot of his bed. "That will be all." Rajendra would dress himself today.

When he had finished attiring himself, he looked in the mirror. He liked what he saw there. It had taken a while to develop the same inner and outer confidence he used to see with his father, but he had it now. Rajendra knew he looked regal.

He walked downstairs to the kitchen, arriving while his wife was discussing something with the cook. They both stopped and lowered their heads in the presence of the king. "Wife, come with me."

They walked out of the kitchen into the living room, and he closed the door. Though she was the queen, Nepal was a patriarchal society. Rajendra ruled both his nation and home.

"How are our sons?"
"Both are a little congested, Rajendra." When they were talking with each other privately, she called him by his first name. "But there is nothing to worry about. I was just asking the cook to prepare some broth, something moist to ease their condition. The boys will rest and be fine in a couple of days."

"Thank you for taking such good care of our family, Bina."

She glowed in acknowledgment of his compliment and lowered her head once more. Then she said, "Are you aware of the auspicious date that is approaching?"

The king frowned. "No. Is there something that I should know?"

"Next week is your birthday, Rajendra, which is also that of your twin brother, of course." She laughed at his forgetfulness.

He smiled, for he had forgotten his birthday before.

"Would you like to invite Nara here?"

The king grimaced again. The word "like" wouldn't apply. But it was the one time all year when they consistently celebrated together. He had heard disturbing rumors about Nara, something to do with his behavior, and perhaps even illegal activities. Rajendra had a country to run, and the last thing he needed was problems with a sibling. He didn't have time for coddling his fraternal twin. But still, Nara was family.

"Perhaps that would be wise. Next Wednesday, yes?"

She nodded.

"Then please plan something and invite Nara here to join us. Thank you for the reminder."

His wife bowed. "I will discuss the menu with the cook and plans with our other servants. We will take care of everything."

Rajendra smiled. "As you did last night." He wondered if they might add a princess to their family? Growth was good.

She blushed, but then grinned right back, and tilted her head up so he could kiss her.

"I must go to work." He clapped his hands twice and a servant appeared. "Tell my driver to have the car ready in five minutes."

"Certainly, Your Highness."

"Goodbye, Your Majesty," said his wife, addressing him as she did in front of the staff. "Be well."
He smiled, then departed. Nights with her kept him more than just satisfied.

If he were only as pleased with the behavior of his difficult sibling.

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill