33-Spy vs. Spy

Sunday, March 20

33-Spy vs. Spy

Bina woke up next to her spouse, the king. They were lying with each other after a solid night's sleep, and she was grateful that they could afford so many servants to support them. Not that many mothers in Nepal had what she did. She knew her husband felt it was his right, but she had not been born as the child of a king and queen. Her husband was raised this way. Other women stayed up all night with their young children, but Bina never needed to do so. She felt grateful. She touched him and he stirred.

"Rajendra."

"Yes." He spoke as if still dreaming, then he opened his eyes and smiled at her.

"All is set for your birthday on Wednesday."

"M-m-m-m. Thank you, Bina. I'm sure it will be splendid."

"And your brother has confirmed his attendance."

"Excellent. Despite our differences, it is good for the public to see the royal brothers together. And it's wise to put in some time to keep us in harmony. I am looking forward to the celebration. Thank you, my queen, for organizing all this and keeping our home running smoothly. I love you."

She moved to show him how she felt as Bina reciprocated his love.

*****

Nara heard a knock at the front door. It was early Sunday afternoon, and his servants had the day off. Since he had no help around, he decided against shooting up. At least for now. But he was thinking about it. All the time. Didn't know how much longer he could wait before giving himself a fix. He ached with desire.

He opened the huge wooden entrance portal and saw his cousin, Tau.

"Forgive me. I know I am here a day early, but I have some timely news to report, and I thought it best that you heard it as soon as possible."

Nara nodded. "Come in, Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"No, thank you. I have had lunch. I just want to give you the information."

He motioned his cousin into the living room. Nara sat down in a large plush dark brown recliner. Tau sat at an angle but facing him, on one end of a matching sofa.

"What have you learned?"

"My urchins have been watching the American spy. Early Saturday his chauffeur drove him to a couple of different residences belonging to officials from different countries that have embassies here. Mr. Cabot, not the driver, hand-delivered packages directly to the foreigners, not to a servant or other employee, making sure the transaction was private and, he thought, discreet."

"That's interesting, Tau. Good job of surveillance."

Maybe I am not the only one with whom Cabot does drug business? Can I use this?

"And he is in trouble with his woman."

This surprised Nara. "How so?"

"Mr. Cabot was with her briefly on Friday, then another woman came and spent the day yesterday and all of last night as well. My spies could hear sounds of passion coming from his bedroom, even through the closed windows."

"Many Westerners have mistresses."

"Yes, that's true. But then this morning his woman returned and used a key to enter the house."

"She had her own key? It was unwise of Agent Cabot to give her one. But that is his problem."

"Yes. And the distraught expression of his woman when she left the house, I am told, means that the discovery of the second female was a surprise to her."

"You think that explains her upset reaction?"

"Yes, I do. I understand that many American females believe in monogamy, and expect faithfulness even before marriage."

Nara considered this. "I cannot imagine how a woman thinks she could be our equal."

"That does not seem reasonable to me, either, but some foreign ideas defy belief."

Nara nodded. "So that means his primary relationship is no longer in harmony?"

"Agreed. We will see what happens there. So I think he is feeling a little vulnerable."

"Anything else?"

"He left later today, looking concerned. Cabot drove himself away. Since it is Sunday, his chauffeur is gone. I don't know if that information is useful, but I thought you might want to know."

"Yes. Thank you, Tau. All of this is helpful."

"t looks like he went to the other woman's residence."

"Any news from there?"

"No. I had no one in place nearby. But I'll bet it was, at the least, an unpleasant conversation."

Nara nodded.

"By the way, Cabot's driver is someone who owes me a favor, if one is needed."

"So he might become sick or unavailable if directed?"

Tau nodded.

"This is excellent. You're a good friend and able operative. You have done excellent work. I'm glad you're my relative."

"You are welcome, cousin. I will have my watchers continue to monitor the American."

"Yes, do. I will tell you when I no longer require your services." Nara took out his wallet and handed over another hundred-dollar bill. "Payment in advance for this next week."

Tau nodded and departed, leaving Nara with his thoughts.

Now how can I use all of that information to flip things against this difficult agent, Gabriel Cabot? Would it be helpful if his driver were unavailable and the American had to drive himself at a time of my choosing? It's worth considering.

I must come up with a plan before I see my brother on Wednesday. If there is a way for me to help my brother the king as well, perhaps we can both benefit?

But how might I do this?

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill