27-Dehydration

Tuesday, May 15

27-Dehydration

"O-h-h-h." Adam groaned.

Am I alive? What happened?

He started to wake up, but he felt shaky and weak as he opened his eyes. He was in a room by himself. White everywhere. Walls, sheets, curtains...all bright white. At least the overhead light was muted.

Where am I?

He had trouble remembering anything. Adam lifted his head and looked at himself. A flimsy green outfit, almost like a sheet, covered him. And he had a large tube sticking out of his left arm.

What's going on?

He groaned again, then called out. "Is anyone here?"

A nurse walked in. She wore a white outfit with green trim, similar to the color of his robe. She was short, maybe five feet tall. She had a warm smile, sparkling ebony eyes, and skin the color of chocolate.

Adam thought about tasting a Hershey's bar. He was hungry.

He tried speaking Nepali. "Am I in a hospital?"

She answered in accented but clear English. "Yes, Meester Scott. Your friends brought you here yesterday. You had passed out and were dehydrated. That is why the intravenous fluids feed you. You were in danger, having lost so much liquid, so we fixed you up with what was needed to replenish all that you lost. How are you feeling now, Meester Scott?"

"I'm a little shaky, but I must be better. So I have been here overnight?"

"Yes. It's Tuesday afternoon. Your friends said they would return here later today."

He remembered the bus ride but nothing else.

"How long am I supposed to stay in the hospital?"

"I can't answer that, but let me get your doctor to see you. He will be able to answer your questions."

She left and Adam lay back down, grunting.

It's difficult to move. And despite the IV, I'm still thirsty.

He closed his eyelids.

"Mr. Scott?"

"Yes." Adam opened his eyes again and tried to lift himself. The doctor reached behind him and folded a pillow to prop him up.

"My name is Dr. Ganesh, like the elephant god." He smiled. "But I am neither a pachyderm nor a deity."

Adam returned the grin.

A physician with a sense of humor. Good.

"What happened to me?"

"Your friends explained how you rescued the little girl from the Dudh Nadi."

"Joe and Pete?"
"Yes. What I believe happened is that you ingested a lot of the river water then. It is sad that many in Nepal do not understand science, or the problems caused when streams are used as toilets."

Adam nodded.

"So I imagine that you swallowed much harmful bacteria, and it's wreaking havoc on your system."

"Gastrointestinal?"

Dr. Ganesh nodded. "Yes. We have taken some blood tests. You have both dysentery and giardia, likely from the water you swallowed. You also have salmonella. Did you eat anything suspicious on your trek?"

He thought about it. "In one village, I drank some yak milk. I doubt it was boiled. Not sure what else might be suspect. I tried to be a respectful guest. When my host offered me something, I accepted the meal gratefully and ate it all."