41-Rock and Roll

Saturday, May 26

41-Rock and Roll

Adam was worried. The huge tent was nearly filled but he had yet to see Kailani or her friends. He wondered if she were okay? She had seemed so happy after the run.

Did something happen to Kailani? Is she hurt or ill? Maybe her friends arrived without her? She has to show up tonight. I need her here.

He searched the crowd again. No luck. He felt distraught and helpless.

Maybe I can find a Peace Corps administrator or volunteer who knows something? But who?

He was considering sources of info when, off to the side of the stage, he noticed her group enter. They must have already eaten. Adam exhaled. Relaxing now that she had arrived, he focused on his table and friends.

Dinner was the first order of business. For a 60's-themed music night, what could be better than burgers and beer? Americans and their guests consumed huge quantities of cheeseburgers, platters of fries, and lots of Bud. Adam smiled. Sometimes the kind you didn't smoke was good too.

"It's important," said Joe, "to thoroughly lubricate our throats before we perform." Pete and Adam laughed in agreement, clinking bottles and taking sips of the cold beer.

Ana Caballo walked in, dressed to the nines. She removed her wrap, revealing her plunging neckline. Male heads turned and watched as she headed straight for the tables in front. There wasn't a man nearby who thought of anything or anyone else. She arrived at her destination and smiled.

"Hey, Adam. Mind if I join you?"

He looked at her without surprise.

I just got more confirmation that she was the one caught cheating with Kailani's boyfriend. Forget her.

"Actually, I do," he said. "Sorry. We're busy tonight and this table is full."

There were several empty seats near him. Ana looked startled. She recovered with something of a poker face and headed to the back to find another place to sit. Adam didn't watch her retreat. He felt relieved.

Good riddance. Funny, I used to think she was so attractive. Now she seems almost ugly to me.

Then the Master of Ceremonies walked to the microphone. Lenny Martin worked for the US Embassy. He oversaw the administration of the English Language School where Adam taught. He was maybe forty, with thinning brown hair peppered with bits of gray. But his signature expression was the winning smile he now displayed.

"Ladies and gentlemen...and everyone else. Welcome to the first annual Kathmandu Rock 'n Roll Night. But before the music begins, to set the tone, we have a fashion show of sorts prepared for all of you."

The audience looked at each other, puzzled, but everyone was grinning in anticipation because Lenny had a sense of humor. Two Americans walked onstage, joining the MC. Lenny turned to the one on his left.

"Bob here is from New Jersey." Many applauded. "He represents the East Coast style. Note the form-fitting black stretch pants, the glossy satin red shirt, pointed black dress shoes, and the hair properly combed straight back. Being an Italian from Jersey, Bob's first option would have been to join the Mafia."

The audience roared, but Bob shook his head and kept a straight face.

"Okay, maybe he worked in the family pasta restaurant?"

More laughter. His non-verbal response denied this too.

"Well, then he had to become a musician."

Bob took a bow. The crowd applauded.