38-Preparations

Saturday, May 26

38-Preparations

Ana was resilient, a survivor. She had cried a lot last night over losing Gabriel. But now she was determined. That chapter of her life was over. It wasn't like the emotional turbulence would just disappear. But she needed a new goal. Ana wasn't going to stay in her own pity party. She resolved to move on. Ana considered other options.

Adam will be at the Rock 'n Roll event tonight. I hadn't planned to perform or even attend. I was gonna clinch the deal with Gabriel. But since he's no longer an option, I'll focus on my second choice, Adam.

She looked over her outfits, looking for something to help her catch her new man. People would be dressing up tonight, but Ana would outdo them all. She picked out a form-fitting, sleeveless, low-cut, black satin floor-length gown, with a long slit up one leg. She found matching five-inch pumps and selected her jewelry. She would adorn herself with long gold hoop earrings, a thick shiny gold necklace, two matching bracelets, plus a single matching anklet that she would wearr on the leg exposed by the slit. Ana smiled, thinking about how she would look. Irresistible.

Gold, like the Olympic medal! First place. Adam, it's time you got to know a woman worthy of you. Intimately.

*****

Nara woke up feeling both optimistic and worried. He knew it was going to be hard to endure rehab. Today his housekeeper would help him pack. The most famous such recovery places were in Europe or America. But this brother, the king, knew of a closer one in Thailand run by Australian ex-pats that had a great reputation. And it was a flight that was just a couple of hours long.

Could he last until then?

The desire to shoot up was strong. He knew he should stop. If he pumped the liquid in via a needle now, he'd never make it to the plane. But if he didn't do something about his situation, he'd go crazy before he could leave. What could he choose to get him to the airport?

He spread powder on a mirror, as if the heroin was cocaine. Then he snorted some. It didn't feel as good as an injection, nor hit his system as fast, but it should help with the transition.

He was going to stay a month or more in Thailand. But he had much to look forward to, including family and a job.

Nara hoped he could make it.

*****

Rajendra spoke with their cousin, Tau. "Are you all set for the flight later today?"

"Yes, Sire. I know what to do."

"Please repeat your instructions one last time."

"I will take Nara to the airport in an hour, travel with him to Thailand, then hand-deliver him to the door of the Australian rehab clinic by the beach. Only after he and I have signed all the necessary paperwork, transferring custody to their facility, and paying the fee in advance, shall I return with a copy of all the legal documents."

"Excellent. You have shown your loyalty, Tau, keeping me informed about your involvement with Nara and the concerns regarding the American CIA agent. Now that we have solved that issue, when you return, I am making you the director of the Ministry of Intelligence. Your network of watchers has served me well, and I have no doubt that will continue." He showed Tau the contract and the large pay raise that would accompany his new position.

"That is generous of you, Your Majesty."

Rajendra said, "It is no more than what you have earned. I am also certain that you will continue to do so. Thank you, Tau."

The cousin inclined his head in acknowledgment, then left.

*****

Kailani got on her bike and rode over to Adam's favorite restaurant at 7 a.m. She had suggested meeting for an early breakfast. Joe and Pete were there, too.

"Gentlemen, good to see you all."

Joe looked at Adam. "She's only talking to us, dude." He turned back to Kailani. "Didn't you want to greet Adam, too?"
Kailani laughed in such an infectious manner that all of the men had to join in. "Yes, Adam, it's good to see you, also."

He smiled. "I'm just grateful y'all tolerate me."

She nodded. "Pete and Joe, are you two running today?"

"Not a chance," said Pete. "But it was Adam's turn to buy us breakfast. We think he wanted to make sure that we'd show up on time for the show tonight. He must have figured that footing the bill for our meal would guilt us into arriving on time."

Kailani grinned. "I'm looking forward to it," she said.

"We'll be okay when we perform," said Joe. "But it's hard to have to carry Adam. We are shouldering quite a burden, but someone has to do it. Might as well be us."

Kailani chuckled, "I'm proud of you two for taking on the added responsibility."

Adam smiled and played along, "Yes. I'm fortunate they have given me this opportunity."

"Thanks, man, for breakfast today," said Pete.

"Yeah dude," said Joe.

"No worries," said Adam. "You can get it next time."

They ordered and ate enormous meals. Kailani had 2 scrambled eggs, 4 halves of French toast, 3 slices of thick bacon, a tall glass of orange juice, and finished with a cup of tea.

"Impressive," said Pete.

"Well, when Adam is paying, we gotta take advantage."

"Exactly," said Joe.

"My pleasure," said Adam, "but you've got to burn it off during the race today."

"Not a problem," she said. "I need this much energy to get me to the finish line. But it's a good thing we have an hour until we start. The food should stop being a lump and fully fuel us by then."

He smiled, thinking it was a joy to have a high metabolism.

Joe and Pete got up. "Thanks again for the grinds, Adam," said Joe.

"Good luck during the race to both of you," said Pete. "We'll see you tonight."

Adam and Kailani said goodbye to them, then walked out to their bicycles. They had several miles to ride before arriving at the race location, but the route was nearly level. No problem.

It was a gorgeous day. The sun shone through a scattering of clouds. There was some humidity. The monsoons were due in a week or so, but today no rain was expected. It would be a joy to run a few miles. They both smiled as they biked from the city.

They rode leisurely out to Ring Road, then continued riding a couple of more miles to an open area near the beginning of some rice fields. The first runners had already checked in and were standing around, talking. The race took place once a month. The route was unusual, the participants well-behaved, the format amusing. But there was a reward.

At the finish line, as part of their entrance fee, the sponsors provided the coldest high-quality beer in all of Nepal.

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill