32-Preparation

Sunday, May 20

32-Preparation

Joe and Pete were at Adam's place, ready to practice for the show. He had invited the two of them to join him at the International Rock n' Roll Night next Saturday. They would be his guests but had to earn it by performing with him that evening.

"So, do you guys like Motown?"

"Yeah, dude," said Joe. "Tunes from the brothers and sisters in Detroit, the motor city. Good vibes for dancing and singing."

"Oh, man," said Pete. "That's just about the best music ever. And since the three of us have so much soul, it fits us perfectly."

Adam explained the format and rules for the entertainers. Everyone would be lip-syncing. Each group got one or two performances, had to look like they were singing, and were expected to dance along. Adam had a cassette tape player and lots of song options. The trio started laughing as they considered their choices. Motown had a number of famous artists under contract.

They discussed different groups and song options, focusing on male performers. The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Junior Walker, and several other good groups were possibilities. But after much discussion, they finally decided on two hits by the Temptations: "My Girl" and "Get Ready".

"Maybe we'll get a recording contract after doing all this?" asked Pete.

"Of course," said Joe. "I'll help you both decide what to do with the big money we'll get when they sign us. You two will only have to pay me a flat ten percent fee as the manager!"

Adam laughed. "A bargain. Motown will, no doubt, jump at the chance to pay lots to three more soul brothers like us."

Pete nodded, then said to his travel partner, "I know who should be the lead for both of our songs."

Joe smiled, knowing where this was going, "Yeah. Adam."

"Oh no," protested Adam. "How about if we rotate, each doing one or two stanzas in both songs?"

Pete shook his head, explaining his position to the other two. "You're the musician. You play guitar and sing, and we're certain that your high school and college sports experiences included instances of dancing during victory celebrations."

Adam laughed. "Okay. But when we get the big bonus from the recording company, we split it equally three ways."

"Deal," said Joe, as Pete grinned in agreement.

They began working out singing locations on stage as well as dance choreography to each song. At first, it took a lot of time to make such decisions. But each contributed ideas and they enjoyed the process. All three laughed often. It was a joy working together. An hour later, they decided to call it a day.

"We have a week to get ready," said Adam. "We'll get better. And we're having fun."

"Sure are," said Joe. "Thanks, dude."

"Man, this is a blast," said Pete. "See ya tomorrow." He paused. "Wait. What about our group name? We don't have one yet."

"Too bad the name 'Temptations' is already taken," said Adam. "Though it might not have applied, since none of us would ever give in to such."

"No way," laughed Joe. "But Pete was teasing me about being here in a Hindu kingdom, how the religion may be affecting us via osmosis or something. Maybe now we'll have another life after this one? He thinks I'll come back as a mosquito." They laughed. "But what if we call ourselves 'The Reincarnations'? I'll bet that's original."

"I like it," said Adam.

"I agree," said Pete. "It almost sounds like a Motown group name among Detroit's Hindus. And anyway, I'm looking forward to Joe's future insect reincarnation."

They all broke up.

Adam shook hands with each and said goodbye. They agreed on a time when they would practice, each morning after Adam went for an early run. They'd meet for breakfast first, kick over ideas during the meal, then get to work. It wouldn't be tedious, though. Creating their routines for the show was way more fun than any prior job the three of them had ever had.

Now that Pete and Joe had departed, Adam had some quiet time. He opened up a manila envelope, a small package sent to him by a friend back in America, something he had asked for some time ago. It contained the chords and words to a song he wanted to learn. The Los Angeles buddy included a cassette for Adam's tape player with an original version of the tune. He put it on, wanting to hear the song first before he tried it out on his own. He played it three times, smiling wider each time.

It's a beautiful melody and the lyrics are so positive, telling the story of the author's love for his home. Good choice. Just what I want to express.

Adam lifted his guitar and began to play the melody. It wouldn't take long to learn. He had a week.

I hope I can do it justice.

Please vote (click star), comment, and/or follow. Aloha! -Bill