Chapter 26: Without a Hitch

I glare up into fierce, gray eyes and instantaneously register that I've been gifted with an opportunity to have some fun.

I huff and turn my head in the direction of my savior. "Jay!" I complain loudly. "Why is the Grim Reaper standing before me when I'm perfectly fit and healthy?!"

"Perfect and healthy, sure, of course, my sweet love. But fit is debatable, 'Queels – my back would agree," he replies with a teasing grin.

"Cronus shouldn't be here!" I whine, refusing to be side-tracked from the tragedy of a person standing before me just because my husband-thing is being unreasonably sassy. "I'm not even dying!"

"You will be if you don't shut up," Grey remarks vehemently, his mouth twisting into a grimace, his eyebrows pinched up into a frown.

"Jay," I drone, "I've told you before that I need a heads-up if your unrefined acolyte is going to be around. You know I get PTSD whenever I'm in the same vicinity as him." I shudder dramatically for effect.

"Power through, Babe. I believe in you," Jay encourages me before heading over to Lesley. I watch on in despair as they continue to discuss details of the house, leaving me alone with his cretinous beast.

I stagger to my feet and fold my arms across my chest. "How did you slip in through the doors so imperceptibly?"

"I—"

"An unacceptable answer!" I cut him off. "Go back! Go back to your own dimension where sleeping in coffins is normal and where eternal darkness will always prevail!"

He crosses his arms over his chest too, taking a stand. "What if I said that I need some sunshine for once?"

I laugh, unable to take his words seriously. "C'mon man," I wave him off, "go, be free. I insist. Outsiders of the human race are not welcome here."

"Poor Slobber," he comments with a sardonic smirk lining his lips.

"You know that's not what I meant!" I hiss. 

"In my defense, no one ever knows what you mean," he answers with a look of stoic resignation on his face.

I glower up at him. "To be candid, you arriving out of nowhere is the peak of my disappointment today."

"It been no highlight for me either," he replies snidely.

"Be honest, are you here because you're experiencing FOMO and totally miss me?" I prod, taking my chances by moving closer to him.

"No," he answers, stepping back to put more distance between us.

"As in 'no' you're not being honest? Or as in 'no' you did miss me?" I question, taking another step toward him.

"Not falling for that trap, Lawson. I swear, you're the root cause of all my headaches lately," he mutters, rubbing his right temple with his fingertips. 

He still looks tired.

"Well," I attempt to distract him from whatever is keeping him up at night, "I guess that makes us even because you insult me with your mere presence."

He rolls his eyes. "Please. I'm the one suffering here."

"No, I am!" I argue. "You standing this close to me has to be a complete violation of my human rights, all human rights, or something. Probably a power move on your part."

"You're the one who inched closer to me!" he snaps, not having it.

I grin, content. "Our hatred for each other is unparalleled. No one in the entire universe has a hatred quite like ours. Now, kindly crawl back into the underbelly of society where you belong."