Chapter 47: Better Together

"Told you that they love you," Jay tells me while driving back, his hand in mine the whole way home.

"I'm in love with your family," I reply, moved by their hospitality and kindness.

"I don't think I've ever seen you so shy before. It was kinda cute," he teases.

I huff dramatically. "Whatever."

I've never felt the need to be liked by people until them. They mean a lot to Jay, thus, I needed them to like me.

He just grins. "I'm happy I reconnected with them."

A faraway look overcomes him, and we drive the rest of the way in silence. I know he's thinking of his real parents who tragically passed away just after he was born. He went above and beyond to find them and unfortunately, he still never got to meet them.

I tighten my grip on his hand, saying nothing.

*~*~*~**~*~*~*

When we get home, Laiken and Grey are both watching a tennis match together. It's a little weird but I guess Grey's trying to be a good person seeing as Lai just lost someone.

Feeling an overwhelming sense to appreciate those around me more, I approach them before leaning down and embracing both of them tightly. "Thank you, my morons. I love you guys."

Thank you for talking sense into me.

Lai hugs me back as I'm about to pull away. "I don't know what this is for but I'm not gonna waste the opportunity to have my arms around you."

For once, I welcome his flirting. He must be feeling more like himself. He and his mother weren't that close but it's still a major loss to recover from.

Grey, on the other hand, tries to shove me aside. "Can you not? Move, Lawson. I'm trying to watch a game here," he tells me while patting Slobber who's currently curled up asleep on his lap.

I yank myself away from Lai's grip and ruffle Grey's hair, knowing that he hates that. "Lighten up, Ferrot."

*~**~*

Hey :)

If you'd like to read the rest of this chapter now, head over to Radish :D The complete chapter is up on Radish under 'Fast Forward' & written by CJ_Adler. I'll upload the full chapter on Wattpad in 12 months from now.

~ CJ