Chapter 27: Real Subtle

I glance up and spot Grey watching us with a strange look in his eyes. He holds my gaze for a moment before giving me a respectful nod, quickly breaking eye-contact.

I smile into Jay's shoulder. Did I just get Lucifer's approval on something? It's only been five and a half years...

"Thank you, Aqueela," Jay's voice tears me from my thoughts. He pulls back to look at me, his eyes filled with gratitude. "You have no idea how much this means to me, to be able to go and do what I love while having your support."

I nod up at him. "Of course, Jay. I love you."

Anything for his happiness...

He kisses my forehead. "Love you too."

"And I love the house," I add, taking his hands into my own, willing his attention. "If you want to go ahead with everything -- the racing, our home -- I'm in. I'm one hundred percent in."

He arches an eyebrow. "Yeah?" he asks hopefully, barely concealing his lopsided grin.

"Yeah," I confirm. "I'm excited for this next chapter of our lives. It's a new season for all of us," I glance over at Grey, including him in our future. "Let's do this."

Grey blinks at me, mystified. "Wow, Lawson, I nearly admired you there for a split second. Luckily, I caught myself in time."

I beam at the two of them. "Naaw, I love you guys."

Grey doesn't return my smile but meanders over to us and takes a seat beside me, leaving me wedged in the middle.

I throw my arms over their shoulders and draw them close to me. "My forever family." I close my eyes, content.

"You know the rules, Aqueela, remove your arm or I break every bone in it," Grey warns.

I giggle under my breath. "I think I'll risk it. It's worth it."

Unsurprisingly, he doesn't go through with his threat but, surprisingly, he doesn't move my arm off him either.

"Between the three of our salaries, we'll be able to pay this house off in three to four years," Jay declares, satisfied with the outcome.

"Told you she'd see reason and eventually get onboard our ship," Grey reaches over me to fist bump my husband-thing.

Jay reciprocates the action. "Still would've liked to have broken the news more gently."

I gasp at the revelation. I remove my arms from their shoulders to slap their fists away from each other. "Total manipulators!"

"Sorry not sorry, Lawson," Grey shrugs. "I made this whole process easier on you guys. I sped things up. Without me, JT would still be waiting for your answer."

My fiancé weighs Grey's words out in his head before nodding. "I can't deny that Grey's way is efficient."

I punch their arms. "Jerks! Both of you!"

Chuckling, Jay stands up and dusts himself off. "I'll be back in a bit. I need to tell Lesley that everything's official."

I watch him leave. Once he's gone, I shift position and turn to face Grey, ready to assault him with an onslaught of questions. I get distracted from my mission when I notice him already looking at me with a faint, ever-so-there smile.

Am I daydreaming?

I angle my head to the side and peer up at him, unsure. "What?"

He averts his gaze as if only now realizing that he's staring. "Nothing," he brushes me off. "Just...that was really...understanding of you."