Chapter 6: Jump the Gun

"My grandma can drive faster than this," I exclaim, aware that Jay is capable of driving much, much faster than he is now.

"I don't doubt that," Jay replies calmly in all seriousness, refusing to speed with me in the car.

"Don't insult his driving, I trained him," Jed pipes in from the back. He glances down at his phone when it beeps, not giving me a chance to reply with his next statement, "Also, Kyle's offended that you left him behind."

Snap! I knew I was forgetting something!

"I'm sparing Kyle from that second hand toilet brush I call an enemy," I reply cleverly.

"Why don't I get spared from the second hand toilet brush?" Jed frowns, unappreciative of my good gestures.

"Because you're strong, Jed, and because I like Kyle more than you," I answer bluntly with my feisty nature intact.

Jed places his hands up in surrender. "Alright, alright. Got it. You do you, girl. No one's stopping you."

Questions begin to soar through my mind like a wildfire spreading through a forest. "What if Grey's ignoring us because of something more serious than we think? What if Nance kicked him out? What if he's homeless now? What if he's out in the cold, alone and lost?" He'd probably enjoy that. "What if he's turned more evil? What if he's waiting in the darkness for nightfall? What if he died to death? Do you think--"

"'Queela, I don't know any of the answers, but I do know that you're jumping the gun," Jay cuts me off abruptly. "Relax. Those questions...there's no real answers...it's just a gray area. Leave it at that." He grins that boyish smile of his.

Excuse me for being thorough!

I glare at him. "You're not funny."

"Agree to disagree," he argues while Jed stifles a laugh.

"This is not going very well for you, is it?" Jed teases me.

"Watch it or we'll leave you stranded on the sidewalk," I threaten him, letting him know who rules around here.

Jay shakes his head in disagreement. "No, we won't."

As a result, Jed smirks at me with victory.

"It's time I weed out a few useless people from my life, starting with you," I warn Jed a second time. He's on thin ice.

"You barely know me," Jed laughs, finding me to be hysterical.

"I'm blessed," I reply firmly. "Jay will be next to go, straight after you."

"Hey, you're marrying me," Jay reminds me yet again, taking his gaze off of the road to send me a fierce look. He really doesn't want me forgetting my promise to spend forever with him by his side.

I shrug carelessly. "My love, I can't play favorites here," I say as we pull up to the familiar apartment.

Jay looks over at me and shakes his head, used to my insults. When I innocently flutter my lashes at him, he can't help but break out into a grin. My gaze automatically falls to his lips. He smiles and leans over his seat to kiss me. "Then you're lucky that I can," he whispers against my mouth.

I push him away from me to reprimand him. "Now's not the time. Can you not kiss me like every five seconds?" It's exhausting! "Can you just stop being overly affectionate? Can you just stop thinking about kissing me?"

Jay's eyes light up with mischief. "Nah, I can't. It keeps me awake at night." He winks suggestively at me, using his boyish and irresistible charm on me.