1. Strawberry

"You know baby, I have a feeling jack and Sara will have a long lasting friendship" Abigail mentioned looking down at the two children running in the grass barefooted.

"I believe that as well" I smiled to myself.

I felt a sense of calmness come over me watching the two play as I knew the children and gang were safe. It had been a few rocky weeks as we had been running from the law because of some boat robbery Mr.Bell insisted on doing.
We had a fine life before the incident, we were still camping out everywhere but, we had money which was conveniently left in black water. I couldn't even think of the money anymore, Micah had brought it up so many times these few weeks that the slightest mention of blackwater and money in the same sentence aggravated me.
Thankfully I hadn't seen that cunt in a week. Before arriving at horseshoe overlook dutch had sent Micah and Lenny ahead to scout the area for any lawmen, obviously their plans changed. I would of expected them to return to camp after a few hours but no. Micah most likely had other plans.

"Ugh, these kids are going to cut their feet having them exposed like that, if only john actually cared he would spare some money to buy his own son some footwear" Abigail sighed to herself.

"Hey, I think I might have a few coins left in my saddle bag, how about I go into town and buy the two some shoes" I suggested.

"Oh you're a blessing baby, truly you are!" Abigail thanked placing her hands over mine.

I smiled at Abigail sitting up from the crate i was sitting on and brushed the dirt from my skirt onto the ground.

"Make sure they don't get into any trouble Miss Roberts" I playfully inquired.

"Dont worry Miss Levine they are safe with me"

I nodded my head walking past Dutch's tent when I heard him call my name.

"Vanessa come here please"

I sighed. "Yes Dutch?"

"I need you to do me a favour" he said placing his book down looking up at me.

"Whats that?"

"Could you go to strawberry and bail Mr. Bell out of the sheriffs, Arthur took Lenny to the saloon in valentine to get him drunk and I don't think Arthur's going to get Micah in time, so he could purposely make him hang"  Dutch said rolling his eyes at the last statement.

"As much as I hate him, I'll do it but only if i get something from it, possibly $15 so I could get a few things for the kids" I bargained making dutch think for a minute.

"Alright..if its for the kids then I suppose ill give you the 15"

I smiled cupping my hands together in front of myself. "Thank you dutch, I'll get Micah out in one piece...maybe"

Dutch nodded as I headed towards my horse hoisting myself into the saddle kicking his sides as he raced down the path.

"Cmon trudy lets go bail out a old crusty rat" I said patting my horses neck as the skewbald gypsy cob galloped through the trails against the Dakota river.

Entering strawberry they rode underneath the large sign and up the hill towards the sheriffs.

I stopped trudy a little ways from the sheriffs and jumped out from the saddle.

"This better not turn into something more than us just getting chased by the law" I mumbled walking up the front steps towards the door and taking a deep breath before making up a fake story.

"Where is he?" I yelled opening the door and marching up to the sheriff.

"Who you looking for ma'am?"