21. San Francisco

I had gotten up and decided to groom trudy for a bit while I waited for Micah and Sara to fix their issues. As I brushed Trudys coat the doors of the manor opened and out walked Sara and Micah towards me.

"Mama it's okay now..you don't have to worry" Sara smiled.

"That is good news" I smiled back down. "But what are you both doing over here..go do something around camp, I'm sure Miss Grimshaw would love your working hands little miss"

"Actually I had a better idea..." Micah spoke.

"And what is this great idea of yours Micah bell" I teased.

"Lets go on a road trip..just the three of us"

"A road trip?"

"Yea..I think we all need a little break"

"That...that sounds really nice" I chuckled.

"Alright...go pack your things and I'll go tell dutch" Micah said placing a kiss on my cheek.

I smiled and headed back towards the tent. I pulled out a chest and began filling it with clothing and a bit of ammunition just in case. I closed the chest and called Sara over to change her clothes.

***

Baby and I split ways as I headed into the manor to find Dutch. He was upstairs in his room watching over camp from the balcony.

"Dutch?"

"Yes Micah?" Dutch spoke as I joined him on the balcony.

"Vanessa, Sara and I are going to be gone for a few days, maybe 2 weeks..we're going on a bit of a road trip"

"Alright..but what about the big robbery?"

"It can wait can't it Dutch?"

"I suppose..." Dutch sighed lighting a cigarette.

I nodded and headed out of the manor. "Everything packed?"

"Yep...where are we going?"

"I'll tell you when we get there" I winked lifting the chest Vanessa packed and brought it towards a wagon just outside of camp. I grabbed one of the unclaimed horses and tethered it to the wagon.   

"Lets get moving" Vanessa whined.

"Okay - okay, calm yourself woman" I chuckled climbing into the drivers seat and flicked the reins as the horse began to trot and the wagon rolled out of camp.

It had been a week since we had left. We took the wagon to the train station and rode the train to Texas where we got off and hoped onto another two  trains that took us through new Mexico and Arizona territory. We finally took a final train through California to San Francisco.

"Are we there yet? We've been travelling for days Mr. bell, I think I should know where we are now" Vanessa scoffed.

"Alright...Mrs. Bell, welcome to San Francisco" I smiled looking over at the woman beside me as her face dropped.

"Why are we in San Francisco?"

"Adventures..that's why"

But that wasn't the reason why I brought them to San Francisco. The real reason was because my older brother Amos lived here. Now months ago I had written him a letter. Which he responded to, I was not expecting him to do so, but he did. And ever since I read what he put in the letter, it had haunted me for days.

Micah,

Thank you for your letter, I suppose I am glad you
ain't been hanged yet, but I am going to have to
insist upon you the fact that if I see you, won't be
no one needs to hang you, as I will break your neck
It ain't that I don't love you, because I do, what with
you being my family and all that we done together,
but it's that I am now a family man, as you know, I
have daughters, as you know,
I swore to the Lord Almighty that I would protect
my daughters from all that is evil and wrong in this
world, if only he would help me repent of all that I
done when we was running together, as you know,
And that means repenting of you, as you know, and
washing my hands of you. Do not attempt to
approach me. Do not attempt to visit me.
Do not claim you know me If I hear you are within
fifty miles of me, I will come and find you and then
you'll meet your maker and apologise to him on
both our behalves for them things we did. None of
this should come to you as news I was shocked to
receive your letter, Do not write to me again.