16. This is how we part

-Micah's POV-

"VANESSA!"

I caught her in my arms before she could hit the ground.

"Hold on sweetheart I'm going to get you out of here" I said picking her up into my arms and ran towards the manor.

"Girls! Help!" I shouted running up the stairs and into the room they were hiding in.

"Micah what's- oh no" Abigail gasped looking down at Vanessa wheezing in pain holding the huge gash on her stomach.

"Come on"

I walked into the room placing Vanessa on the bed.

"Micah" Vanessa breathed.

"Yes darling?"

"I-if I don't make it...get Sara out of here" she wheezed again.

"Don't say that, you're going to make it" I said taking her hand and squeezed it.

The girls had came back from retrieving medical supplies and bursted back into the room.

"Mr. Bell we need you to move away from the bed" Miss Grimshaw said.

"Im not leaving her" I snapped.

"Micah please- I'll be fine..take Sara with you" Vanessa whispered.

"I.."

"Please" she softly smiled.

"I love you" I whispered leaning over placing a kiss on her lips as she weakly returned it. Looking into her beautiful eyes I hoped this would not be the last time I see those pretty eyes.

"Micah..you need to go" Abigail placed a hand on my shoulder.

I sighed getting up walking towards Tilly who had Sara hidden from seeing her hurt mother. 

"Come on Sara" I whispered taking her from Tilly as she gave me a sympathetic look.

"What's wrong with mama!" She cried.

"She's hurt...but she'll be okay" I held her close exiting the room and hurried down the stairs.

"She'll be alright.."

I had been in my tent soothing Sara until she fell asleep on my lap. Sitting there on my cot holding this little girl that I called mine made me think..what if this never happened. What if I had never took the time to spend the day with the little red haired girl that mer 3 month's ago. But the true reason I did that was to get to Vanessa, I had fallen for her two weeks after I joined the gang....

Dutch had called me over and told me to head into the saloon in blackwater to meet with one of the girls as she had a lead on a coach coming in from strawberry.

Arriving in blackwater I hitched baylock to a hitching post and entered the saloon. There were a few men playing poker and others talking at the other tables. But leaning against the bar was a woman. I had seen her around camp a few times but I had never actually took the time to truly look at her. She had dark red hair and fair skin with light freckles that painted her shoulders and arms.
She wore a red skirt and white top that showed her cleavage beautifully. But the most incredible part was her face..small slightly round with a strong jawline. Her lips were small but plump and her eyes...a bright blue that sparkled.

"You the woman dutch told me to come meet?"

"I think that's correct" she smiled.

"Micah bell" I smirked holding out my hand.

"Vanessa Levine...but most people call me baby" she shook my hand.

"Baby hm? Why do most people call you that" I asked leaning against the bar next to her.

"Oh it's a long story" she chuckled.

"Well..we've got time, you can tell me while we ride to grab that coach"

"Oh alright" she smiled.

We left the saloon and mounted our horses.

"So..tell me the story on how you got the nickname baby" I snickered.

"So..when I joined the gang three years ago Mr.Macguire came up to me and began flirting with me in the oddest way as he had the sweets for me"

"Humour me miss levine"

"Well he basically began flourishing me with various complements and say how much I'd love him if I gave him a chance. Obviously I was not amused so I got up to leave...that's when the kid starts whining.."

"Please baby give me a chance! I can pleasure you in ways you've never felt" she giggled mimicking the boy.

I bursted out laughing, what an idiot. "Well he's a real charmer"

"Yea..he really is" she snickered.

Her laugh was endearing and cute, the way her nose scrunched made my stomach twist. How was I falling for a woman I had just met?

The robbery went real smooth, I shot everyone dead and Vanessa grabbed the cash and other goodies from the coach. But to Vanessa it did not go the way she wanted it to.

"What is wrong with you?" She furrowed her brows.

"What'd you mean?"

"You killed all them folk, I was wanting to let them go free"

"They could have snitched Miss Levine" I grumbled.

She scoffed. "We have face covers you idiot how they gonna snitch hm?"

"You cant trust no folk around here...they're just a bunch of snitches" I shook my head.

"That's very bias" She rolled her eyes.

I let out a snoring noise throwing my head back as I kicked baylocks sides. She may be pretty but her talk ain't all that, I thought to myself.

But what a woman indeed.

"Micah?" I heard the soft shaky voice from outside the tent.

"What?" I muttered.

"May...I come in?"

"I guess.."

The tent flap opened and Tilly stood at the entrance.

"Micah..I" she hesitated as a tear fell down her cheek.

"No.."

"Im sorry"

I tried to speak but the only thing that came out was a slight croak. Tilly left the tent and I heard her begin to cry. Everything was happening way to fast. I starred at the wall of my tent in shock.
She was gone.
The only woman I've ever loved was gone.

At this point I couldn't be angry, all of my intrusive thoughts had went away as sadness took over. I felt a lump for in my throat and I tried my hardest to clear it but..it pushed through.
I was crying. A feeling I hadn't felt in years overcame me as tears rolled down my cheeks, I hugged the little girl sleeping on my lap tightly not ready for what was to come in the future...I had to watch over this little girl more than ever.
She was my little girl.

____________________________________