18. The dress

~ 3 weeks later ~

I had gotten better, the stab wound had healed over quite fast due to Tilly s nursing hands and Grimshaw's caring words telling me that I could not die snd leave my child alone with a bunch of murders. She was not wrong.
I was stuck in the manor for so long that I had forgotten what the outside looked like and when I was finally able to go outside I cried genuine tears of joy seeing the sun rising in the morning. Knowing I had survived was the biggest relief. I was so scared throughout my healing process that something would change and I'd die in my sleep or bleed out but I didn't and I was able to see my friends faces once more.
And when I saw my daughters face I smiled seeing how brave she was especially since Micah had taken care of her throughout my time gone.

At this moment I was sat outside at one of the tables when Dutch approached me with a small favour.

"Mrs. Bell, since you are healed I was wondering if you'd accompany myself, bill, Arthur, and Hosea to a ball"

"A ball? Like fancy dressing? Civilized livin kind of ball?"

"Yes, that kind of ball" Dutch snickered.

"You sure I should go..?"

"Im the one asking you to join us..so yes" he shrugged.

"Alright..I'll come but I need a dress, and preferably a bath" I awkwardly laughed as he smiled.

"Of course Vanessa"

"Thank you..I am looking forward towards this ball you speak of"

"I'm glad you are, You should join Arthur in Saint Denis..he's wanting on Trelawny so he can get prettied up" Dutch snickered.

"Will do" I smiled sitting up from the table.

I headed towards the horses and mounted Trudy as we set off towards Saint Denis. I had made my way towards a Hotel where I had ordered myself a bath. It had been 3 weeks since I properly bathed. While I was healing Tilly would wipe my arms and face off with a damp cloth to keep me some what clean but it did not help with the smell that lingered off of me.
Once I had completely cleaned my body and hair I felt so much better and the stitching on my wound looked better as well. After I finished I made my way towards the tailor shop where I found Arthur asleep on a park bench.

"Mr. Morgan!" I patted his shoulder with the back of my hand.

"Huh?"

"Get up you sleepy bastard" I shook my head.

"Im up..I'm up" he grumbled stretching out his arms before standing up.

"Ah I see we were taking a nap on the park benches" Trelawny's voice lingered from behind me.

"You see Arthur doesn't have common sense and will sleep anywhere he pleases" I gave him a disappointed look.

"Very well, we must get you to ready for this ball..chop chop, we've got no time to waste" Trelawny' began walking towards the front door.

As we entered Trelawny helped Arthur first with picking out a quite formal looking suit that made Arthur look very handsome..beside the mess of hair on his head. Once he was dressed Trelawny called me over and told me to look through the catalogue.
As I flipped through it one of the dresses caught my eye. It was a green dress with a large bodes and white gloves as an accent accessory.

"Ill take this one" I said pointing to the dress.

"That is a very pretty dress Mrs. Vanessa" Trelawny praised.

I smiled at him as the tailor handed me the dress. I was escorted towards the dressing room and put in the dress. Oh how beautiful it looked on me. I slipped on the gloves and began fixing my hair into a braided crown that wrapped around my head. When I exited the room I had smiles from both men and the tailor.

"You look beautiful Mrs. Bell" Arthur said.

"Thank you Arthur" I smiled.

"Mr. Bell is a very lucky man" Trelawny commented.

"Oh Josiah please" I giggled as he bowed in front of me.

"Come on my civilized folk lets get Arthur's hair tided up a bit" Trelawny said as he offered me his arm and I graciously took it.

We made our ways to the barber where Arthur had gotten his hair and beard cut. When it was done he looked like a new man. His hair was shaven and the sides and slicked back at the top, he was given a pencil moustache and a bit of stubble. It looked very nice.

"Well don't you tidy up nicely" I teased shoving his shoulder.

"Shut up" he grumbled.

"She is not wrong dear boy..you look very handsome"

Arthur didn't exactly reply to Trelawny's comment more slouch around and shrug.
We said our goodbyes to Trelawny as he had other business to attend to. Arthur and I made our ways towards our horses and mounted up, which was a bit of a struggle for me because of my dress but I figured it out. The ride back to camp was quiet and quick. I didn't know why Arthur was do quite but I guess I might of embarrassed him a tad.
When we finally got back to camp there was a carriage sat outside next to the died up fountain.

"Well don't you look fancy" Dutch's voice called from the manor as he walked out to greet us.

"I've been told that to many times today" Arthur moaned.

"Im sure you have" Dutch snickered.

I was hidden by my horse but once I stepped out Dutch's jaw dropped.

"My god...Mrs bell you look like a royal queen in that dress"

"Thank you Dutch" I giggled hiding my face as it reddened. "Have you seen Micah anywhere?"

"I think he's over by the fire with the rest of the boys"

"Okay thank you dutch" I smiled lifting the front of my dress as I walked towards the side of the house.

As expected Micah was sat on the foldable chair reading a newspaper as Lenny, Charles, and Javier sat around him. I made my way towards them and the first one to notice me was Javier.

"Ay princessa" he began whistling.

I giggled but noticed Micah not taking his eyes off of the newspaper and his hat was tilted over his eyes more than it was before I had walked over. But I was okay with the attention the others were giving me.

"You look very nice Mrs bell" Lenny tipped his hat at me.

"Thanks Lenny but I would really appreciate if my husband would say something like that" I placed my hands on my hips and glared at him. Still nothing.

"I think he's asleep" Charles mumbled poking the fire with a stick.

I rolled my eyes and stood right in front of him.
"Micah!" I raised my voice to see if he would do anything. Again, nothing. I was getting frustrated with him so I grabbed his hat and threw it off to be met with his blue eyes glaring into mine.

"Oh.." I whispered. Looking into his eyes I couldn't tell what he was feeling weather it was anger, lust or if he was trying to do something. As the light from the flames hit his face I had realized he had shaved his beard off.

I gasped. "Oh my god, What the hell did you do!" I said grabbing onto his jaw.

"Thought I needed a change...you may also need to speak with your daughter, she's the one who made me do it in the first place" I muttered frustration clearly in his voice.

"What did she do"

"Cut my damn beard with a knife..who gave her the knife I don't fucking know but I woke up looking like a damn sheered sheep"

"That kid and her knifes...god damn" I sighed placing my fingers on my temple.

I hadn't said it but Micah looked very attractive without his beard. If this never happened I wouldn't of noticed how defined his jaw line was and that his face wasn't as chubby as I thought it was, whereas it was the beard that hid this handsome man underneath.

____________________________________