27. Love

We had finally made it back to America. Dutch had ordered the captain to let us off at different locations. The boat had docked in Annesburg, the final destination. Dutch had got off with me to make sure I didn't collapse from the bullet wound. The other's were let off in Saint Denis and van horn. He had carried me up the docking area and down the strip of building where a single horse pawed at the ground. Dutch sat me upon the horse as he mounted up.

"Hey dutch?" I spoke up. Receiving a hum from him. "Do you think I could talk to you about....love?"

".....love? Why?" He asked.

"I-...I guess, I'm just worried, Micah has been acting rude since the bank robbery, and I don't know what to do....I- he-.....does he still love me?" I choked.

Dutch stayed silent.

"Dutch?"

"I don't know how to answer that..." He sighed. "...Hosea would've had an answer for your troubles. But I don't"

"I'll just...try talking to him" I sighed.

The rest of the ride to the new camp was long. We had asked around a few times and finally got our answer. Arriving at the new camp I realized how gloomy it felt. But once Dutch opened the door to the cabin and I saw everyone safe. the fog was lifted.

"Dutch and baby are back!" Abigail laughed.

"Oh I need something to drink" Dutch groaned placing me on a chair. as I said my hello's to everyone...I saw Micah in the back of the cabin holding Sara, she hadn't even noticed I was home. I got off the chair and limped towards them.

"Sara?" I softly spoke. The girls head whipped around as she came running towards me.

"Mama!" She cried as I grabbed her holding her as tightly as I could. I didn't want to let go of her, oh how I missed my little girl.

The door had kicked in once more and bill stormed in angry as ever demanding a drink as Abigail snapped at him, but this was quickly stopped by the sound of a damned mans voice.

"This is agent Milton of the Pinkerton Detective Agency, come out with your hands up or we are going to shoot!" He shouted. And in minutes bullets began flying into the cabin.

I picked up Sara barricading her into a corner hoping nothing would happen, No one would die. I could hear the screaming and the yelling through the sound of gun shots. Sara began crying as I cupped my hands over her ears to try and muffle the noise. She grabbed onto me for dear life. her was just as scared as I was.

More shots were fired until they stopped and it went silent again, only to hear Arthur and Sadie yelling. Sadie came into the cabin to make sure everyone was alright.

"Anyone hurt?" I asked.

"No...we are good" she said tipping her hat at me.

I got up and exited the cabin with Sara in my hip. I looked around seeing the destruction and the bodies. And only now did I realize how dangerous this life was. How close we were to dying and how easily we were found. At that moment I wished to go back...back to horseshoe overlook or even back before any of this happened. I looked down at Sara and The only thought I had was that this wasn't the life a small girl should be living.

As the sun began to rise the camp was cleared but it was still gloomy, Miss Grimshaw had dealt with my wounds.  Sara was inside with Abigail while I got bandaged up. But it wouldn't hurt for that time to be a bit longer as I needed to find someone. Micah in particular. I had to speak with him, for our future and Sara's.

I found him behind the cabin smoking.

"Micah?" I spoke up still slightly limping as I walked towards him.

"What do you want?" He lowly grumbled.

The tone in his voice broke my heart. "I-....what happened to us?" I croaked.

He stayed silent only glancing at me. "You happened" he spat.

"Wh-what? How?" I stuttered in confusion and anger.

"You don't want nothing to do with me, you're only interested in Arthur,

Micah was right, I had thought of Arthur and I maybe being more...but that would never happen, and all Arthur was doing was protecting his sister, because that's what brother's do. And that's all he was, My brother. "Micah....please, I assure you I don't think of that, Arthur is my brother..that is all he will ever be. Now, please stop being like this...do it for Sara" I pleaded.

I could see Micah clenching his jaw as he looked at me. And at that moment I wished I could read his mind.

"Fine"

I exhaled in relief, maybe finally I could replenish our relationship, find something for us...but, I wasn't sure if it would be in this world...because our time was running out. Dawn of a new era was only 3 months away. And I was scared.

"Thank you..." I said before looking at him momentarily and taking a risk that could backfire.
I lifted my arm up and pushed the brim of Micah's hat over his eyes. I smiled slightly as I saw the corners of his lips turn which he tried to hide. I lightly giggled as we parted ways.

The day went on with only a bit of fighting I had went back behind the cabin finding Dutch sat on a chair with his feet up as he muttered numbers and words.

"Dutch?"

His muttering stopped as he glanced up at me.

"What are we doing?"

"Living" he stated.

"Dutch...we can't stay here! we have to keep moving, the Pinkerton's have already found us, and the O'Driscoll's..hell they might too" I scoffed looking at Dutch's emotionless face. "Dutch?"

"You...You sound like Hosea" he sighed.

"Dutch, trust me when I say...Hosea is looking at us right now..he might not be proud of your choices but he is proud that you haven't given up yet...so don't give up on us" I said placing a hand on his scratchy face. Dutch had exhaled closing his eyes, giving into my friendly touch.

"I..miss...him" his voice croaked in sadness.

"We all do..." My voice softened seeing how sad this man was.

"I...I need to be alone for a while" Dutch spoke looking off into the distance.

"Alright....if you need anything, holler for me" I said flashing a smile before heading towards the front of the cabin. I was about to look for Sara when I collided into Arthur.

"Woah there cowboy.." I chuckled.

"Sorry" he muttered before walking. His voice sounded raspier than usual.

"Hey..Arthur hold on a minute" I said catching up to him.

"I've gotta leave can this wait until I get back?" he sounded aggravated.

"Arthur!" I furrowed my brows grabbing onto his arm as he spun around.

"What is so important?" He raised his voice clenching his jaw as he starred down at me.

Looking at his face almost made me cry, his eyes were droopy and bloodshot and his face was pale. It was getting worse.

"Oh Arthur" I sighed

"I'm fine" he said before coughing.

"Arthur.."

"I'm leaving now" he turned heading towards his horse.

I watched him gallop away from camp. I was scared for him, he was sick and was denying it. He had to get help sooner than later...but knowing him he won't get it until the last minute. I didn't want to watch someone I loved dear die because of his own stubbornness.

___________________________________

It's filler ik I'm sorry 😭 but this story is fuckin draining me...its like a burden 💀 one that I need to get done so I can move on. but there's so much more to go 😩 it's a pain in my ass. God damn writers block 😤