19: You Are a Fucking Reprobate, My Prince

A/N: I made a note of this on my wall earlier but I know not everyone reads those, so I'm putting it here:I'd also like to remind everyone that with Vanilla, you have to remember that what happens in real life with kink is what I am trying to portray. It's not cute and pretty 24/7. It's dangerous.

A lot of people in real life, who are in the bondage community, are vetted Dominants and submissives. That means that they have been put through trials and tests by their kin to prove themselves trustworthy to the community. If you are not mature enough to understand the nuances of kink and how they affect you as a person, you should not be reading Vanilla. Kink and trauma are linked intrinsically. 

People in real life use kink to control and release their trauma in a safe way. And if you cannot comprehend that even the most vetted people have hurt others, in and out of scene, it is clear you haven't experienced the lifestyle as it really is. I have followed creators on different platforms for many years and everyone knows that we are human, we make mistakes. And if you isolate, disparage, and completely dehumanize a character because of their mistakes, it makes me worry so much about you as a person in the community. 

There's a difference between accountability and segregating someone for something they cannot control. Especially if you barely know them. That goes for humans and characters. Judging someone is not okay.

Take a moment of self reflection and figure out where your hate is coming from before you lash out against someone. This is my space, and I will keep it safe. If you cannot understand why we forgive those who hurt us despite ourselves, you have quite a lot of growing up to do before you can join the kink community. You don't have to like every character - if you loved every single one, I wouldn't be a good author, but hating someone JUST because they're human, is childish behavior. Not everyone likes everyone, but grow up if you hate a book character just because you cannot understand them. The kink lifestyle is about non-judgment and acceptance, and your behavior is fundamentally against our beliefs. 

Now you can go on with your day. Thanks for listening. 

Frank was sitting on Gerard's sofa in his office, curled up comfortably whilst his Dominant continued to finish some last-minute work. It was a relaxing Saturday and Frank had done everything he had been asked, including Lindsey's foot rub. He had been trying for hours now to crochet a ducky hat for Jim but the more he tried to power through, the more lopsided it became. He tried not to feel disheartened, but he couldn't help it.

He let out a small sigh and looked up, doing a double-take when he saw Gerard looking at him curiously from over the top of his laptop, "Hi, sir."

"Can I ask a question?"

"Of course, sir"

"Don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly is it that you're making?" Gerard asked as he tilted his head.

Frank pouted as he looked down at the yellow abomination in his hands, "It was supposed to be a ducky hat for Jim's birthday. I mean, James."

"You're making James a hat?" Gerard asked, "Hold it up."

Frank showed his work to his Master, "It's not really a duck, is it? It's like a... misshapen egg."

Gerard closed his laptop and got up, walking around his desk to sit beside Frank on the sofa. He took the hat carefully to examine it, "It's not bad, Frank. Perhaps focus more on the hat than the duck, my boy. It needs to sit on his head to be a proper hat. And once you have the shape right, then add the little duck at the top."

He smiled at Frank, who chuckled, "You know how to do fucking everything, don't you, sir?"

Gerard kissed Frank's head, "I know enough about a lot of things."