Chapter 11

8 am. 8 am. 8 am. Why this early? I think to myself, dragging my sleeping body out of my tiny but comfortable bed. I guess it's part of the competition. Or else I wouldn't be up this early. Even though I did go to bed early last night.

Rubbing my eyes, I look over to see a still happily sleeping Mckayla. I wake up when my alarm wakes me up, she can sleep right through it. I can't, personally I think she could sleep through a bomb exploding but hey, we're 16. I guess I probably can too when I'm very, very tired. I pull on one of my Jack Wills sweater even though it the middle of summer but it's freezing cold here in the mornings, like ice cold. Which helps a person wake up. I pull out my two leotards that I would use today. A pink one (or as we like to call the Nastia leotard because she always wears pink) and the red one for tonight. The red one just had fake embellishments on it and was a completely new design while the pink one was like the one that we wore on qualification night.

I pulled on a pair of fuzzy socks to keep my feet warm before walking out of the room, keeping the door open a crack. I would not be the one to wake up Mckayla. I've done that everyday and she can be a tiny bit crabby so it's going to be some other girl because I want to have a good morning so that we can have a wonderful Team Final.

Everyone was awake, except for Mckayla and they were all in our apartment. Marta Karoyli was in the living room with the rest of the coaches, Skylar was probably setting up make up in one of the girls' room and the other girls could be heard making a racket in the kitchen, probably fighting over who ate what.

Turning toward the kitchen, I looked around the living room to see papers covering the dark brown coffee table in the middle of the kitchen room. The coaches all around were reading stuff and had laptops around, it had to something important since they all had worried looks on their face. I ignored it. Everybody got worried when it was this close to the Team Finals, everyone would be watching to see who had won gold and who hadn't. Causing all of us to get a tiny bit stressed. I turned towards the kitchen and walked in. Bacon, cookies, waffles, and other stuff piled the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"This looks amazing," I said and it did. We weren't allowed to have that good of stuff except for certain days but we had to watch our diet because it we didn't have enough stuff in our bodies it wouldn't be good for when we competed. I grabbed a plate and put some food on it while the other girls stood around, just eating in silence. Not an awkward silence but a normal silence that you have while everybody eats breakfast; like during summer break when everyone you know is at your beach house and your all eating breakfast.

I poured syrup all over my waffles and picked them up; eating them like there was no tomorrow. Which then again, it could feel like that tomorrow or it could feel like I'm at the top of the world. We don't know. We slowly ate food and Mckayla eventually woke up. Time seemed to go slowly at first; like it always did but this time the nerves in my stomach began to clench and unclench multiple times. Never a good feeling.

At around 10am, I went into my room and made sure everything was in my bag. We had private podium training from 11 to 1 and then we had podium training with Russia and Romania from 3 to 5. Everybody had a time for themselves, it was split up somehow but it mattered. Only 8 teams would be in the Team Finals and it had mattered on how you had placed in the 2011 Worlds; which we did very well with since Team USA placed Gold, without the help of Alicia Sacramone; who had broken her ankle during practice one day. She was here in London and was really nice. Alicia was the one who had the most experience out of all of our gymnasts. She's been in Elite since 2002 and now it's 2012. She's been in this route for 10 years and so she was the best to talk to when we had nerves.

I pulled on my pink leotard and my hair up into a high ponytail, the end of it touching the start of my spine and put some chap stick on to make my chapped lips softer. Grabbing my bag; an old picture feel out of it. Misty must have put it in there because I had never remembered having a picture in my bag. I turned it over and I sucked in a deep breath. The picture was back from 2007, it was my first National All-Around title. I was the 3rd best in the Juniors in Great Britain. It was fun because we were at the 02 aka North Greenwhich Arena; where we would compete today. I always called it North Greenwhich Arena, it kind of seemed the only way I could. I knew it by it's look with the gymnastics equipment but I never could think of it as an Arena where they hosted so many different type of sports. Just no. It didn't seem right in my mind.