Chapter 6

I flung myself onto the low bar. This morning had not gone my way. The very beginning was fine, up until practice started. Everything went downward. I should be happy today. It's the opening ceremonies, everything gets light up and everyone is happy. Nothing bad is going on today but still it happened. Mckayla and I woke up at around 10 am. We pulled on our leotards (they were matching white and blue ones) and some short shorts on that. We both straighten our hair so that we can pull it tighter and not worry about it whacking us in the face when we do some elements. Our coaches wanted us to meet them at the our practice gym. Different countries shared gyms. We shared ours with Team Great Britain but we used it a lot more than they did because they used a gym in London to train instead of this one we use.

After we had finished getting ready for a full day of training, we went and got breakfast. This was the 1st morning that we had gone to the cafeteria. It was huge. It even had it's own McDonald's. I had gotten McDonald's for breakfast. The cinnamon buns with an apple juice. Whenever we went to McDonald's when I was a kid for breakfast I always ate that and still love eating it. Mckayla got a coffee with an apple. I just liked getting the extra-boost that I got from the sugar. Plus, it tastes really good. Once we had finished all that the two of us headed out into the Village to try and find the gym. We had found it the night before but that was because we had a coach to take us there. It was a bit harder to find today. Probably because I hadn't payed any attention to where it was.

We were the 2nd group of girls to get there. Gabby and Aly were working on bars and beam. We all took rotations but I was hopefully going to be using the tramp since I was going to try and change the 3 1/2 twist landing on one of my tumbling on passes on floor to a full 4 twist landing. It was going to take a lot of practice to land it and it all started on the tramp. It's pretty fun using it too. Marta and Misty were there too. I'm pretty sure Liang Chow was at the cafeteria because I think we passed him and the other girls and their coaches were somewhere else. Mckayla's coach was going to come later since she wanted to be able to get our full training schedules and she had to go to an Olympic meeting to make sure it all went well. Just normal stuff that the coaches took turns doing so for that time I was going to share Misty with her.

"Arielle work on your quadruple twist landing on the tramp," Marta instructed me. I took my shoes off and set them by the stuff that I kept in here or I think Misty brought in. I grabbed my new grips and set them in a little cubby that had my name on it, that's where we kept them, before getting onto the tramp. I jumped on it a few times before doing a double twist landing on it. Very simple but a good way to warm it up. You didn't want to dive into anything when it came to adding an element. You wanted to make it looked like you've been doing it your entire life not just for a day or two. Once I finished warming up I began to throw some quadruple twists, without landing them. That was the easy part. The hard part would be working on landing it the same way I landed my 3 1/2 twist. It didn't matter right now if I took a few steps but that could mean the difference between a gold and silver on competitng nights. You wanted to stick whatever you threw because when you stick it they can't really take off points unless you do it in the wrong order or mess up while your doing it.

"Try landing some," Marta said as she walked over to me. She also helped coach when it came to these moments. I loved it when she coached because she was so fair and kind but also strict when it came down to it. A good mix. I set the mats up so that I would have to land on the mats or fall on them. Jumping up and down a few times I relaxed myself. I didn't do that well under pressure but I loved the feeling of adreline of competitng in front of all of these people. One of the best feelings in the world I would say. No wonder superstars like performing in front of people. We're like that but we also like being normal people. Our dream is to go to the Olympcis and we did it. Now we want to win. It goes like that just after this we'll be famous not as much as superstars though, well that could be a possibility for me but I don't like that possibility. It just doesn't appeal to me.