Chapter 1

"Stupid sunshine!" A shout echoed in the forest.

Deep inside the forest, a woman woke up grumpy due to her lack of sleep and the sun rays waking her up.

"Why must it be day already?!" she voiced to no one in particular.

Her name was Maia.

And she lived alone. In a cottage located in the middle of the forest.

"Morning Zee!" Maia greeted her pet owl. "Do you have anything for me today?"

Zee responded by lifting her right leg. On it is a letter tied with a red ribbon and the seal of a snake.

"Why would mother send me something?" she asked her owl. She knew the owl couldn't answer her question but Zee tilted her head to the side as if saying, how am I supposed to know? Why don't you open the letter and find out!

"What can it possibly be? Something dangerous? Maybe this'll finally kill me off," she continued in her thoughts, just like what mother wants.

Maia's mother was a great witch.

The kind that would go down in history.

☽︎☾︎

It was the year 350. Raina had just graduated from one of the best schools of magic and was out to see the mortal world.

She did not know what was in store for her, nor did she care. She was strong and brave, and nothing could best her.

After her graduation, she was quickly hired for many jobs, dangerous and not for the weak. It wasn't long before her first task rolled in.

That was why she was in the mortal world. Bring back a heart of a person in love. And so she did.

There, Raina bumped into Alex. She was wandering around when someone bumped into her. He introduced himself to be Alex and she did the same back. Raina wasn't  humans' greatest fan. She finds them boring, tedious, and annoying most of the time. But it was different with Alex.

Raina spent years in the mortal world. She and Alex got together and went on dates. Eventually, they fell in love and got married. They have a daughter right after. Maia. The couple were happy and that was it.

One day, while Raina was gone getting some peppermint, a group of witches and wizards attacked their house. Alex and Maia.

It was too late when she came back. Her house was smoldering in the flames and there were cried of a baby. Maia, her mind screamed.

She dove in headfirst to the flames not caring of the shouts of onlookers. It took a while for her to get through safely and she found herself in the living room where Maia was cradled by a heavily bleeding Alex. 

"Alex!"

"Raina," Alex said in return.

He was in a bad state. Burns and blood covered his skin.

"Take Maia with you and go!" He shouted pushing Maia to her hands. "You have to get out of here!"

"Come! We can do this!" Raina shouted in return.

Alex panted before saying, "I can't Raina. It's the end for me."

"What are you saying?" she cried.

"I'm not going to make it! But you can! Go!"

"I can't leave you!" She cried harder.

"You can. And I will never leave you. You know that. Forever even after death, remember?"

Of course she remembered. Those were their vows. Their solemn vows when they wed.

"Forever," she managed to choke out the word.

"Go. Live Raina, raise Maia well," Alex whispered. "I love you Raina, always remember." And with that, he exhaled his last breath and the last of his life flooded from him.

"AHH!" Raina screamed, heartbroken. Tears were flowing at the sight of her dead husband and the wailing child in her arms. She has to run. And she did.

She couldn't find console in the mortal world, so she left. She turned her back on that world and rejoined hers along with her child in her hands. Hands bloody from the hours she spent hunting and killing those who dared attacked Alex and Maia. Lucky her, one was in love. For that, she cut her heart off and kept it in a jar.

☽︎☾︎

"Hoot!" Zee hooted from the windowsill.

"Ah! Zee!" Maia gave a little scream. She was brought back from her little daydreaming of her parents' tragic love story.

"Enough dread for the day! Back to the letter," she said to herself.

Yes, Maia have a habit of talking to herself. It's no good talking to animals when you can't understand them. Unfortunately, her mother hid all the enchantments for it. Not like she can do them anyways. She doesn't have magic. Not much. Certainly not enough to do the 'talking to animals' spell.

She broke the seal of her mothers, sealing the letter and take out the letter within.

"Open your shop and don't dilly dally. You start today. I have important clients coming your way. Don't mess this up."
- Your Mother

Wonderful.. guess mother did listen this time, Maia mused.

♡︎♡︎

How was it? Hope you enjoyed it! ☺︎︎