Nightmares - Steve Rogers

"Achluophobia. The fear of Darkness. That is your curse."

When I wake up, I'm in a room with one lamp at the top.

There's nothing in the room, no furniture, no sound, just me.

Four concrete walls surround me, showing me that there's nothing else here.

I look up into the light, seeing that it's slowly dimming, the lightbulb unscrewing by itself.

"Wha- no, no, no, no, no." I say, and try to get up to fix it.

But at the exact time I try to get up, something pulls me back down.

Looking at my arms, I see that they're now tied to the ground with thick chains that weren't there before.

"No, no, no, please." I whimper, tears forming in my eyes.

I pull and tug on the chains, attempting to rip them out of the ground.

But they're stuck. And every time I try to pull them off, the grow shorter.

Inch by inch they pull themselves deeper into the ground, shortening my reach.

The lightbulb continues to unscrew itself, tears flowing down my cheeks.

I scream for help, shouting as loud as I can.

And just as I wanted to scream again, the lightbulb falls onto the ground, breaking into a million pieces.

My heart stops and I scream into the darkness, not daring to close my eyes.

"Hey! Hey, Y/n, wake up!"

Steve's arms shake me awake, looking at me in a worried way.

I stop screaming but get scared again when I don't see anything in the darkness.

"Why are you screaming? What's going on?"

My chest rises and falls in an extremely fast speed, trying to get as much air in as possible.

"Hey, hey, I'm here."

He tries to hold me in his arms but that scares me even more and I pull back, starting to cry again.

Steve understands what's happening.

Achluophobia.

He climbs out of bed as fast as he can, running to the light switch of the room and turning the chandelier on.

His eyes meet my scared ones as he walks back to me, embracing me in a hug as I jump onto him, wrapping my legs around his standing ones.

Steve starts stroking my hair to calm me down.

The nightmares won't stop.

"Shh, hey, it's okay. We have light."

I still breathe in deeply in a rapid motion, gripping onto Steve's shirt and holding him tight.

The heavy rain outside hits against the window and I flinch.

My tears flow down my cheeks again, soaking his shirt.

He hates seeing me like this and it makes him angry.

Makes him feel like he could destroy the universe.

Cut off Thanos' head and steal the gauntlet to kill everyone just so that we could be alone.

"Shh, hey, come here."

Steve holds onto me as he climbs back into bed, sitting by the headboard and holding onto me on his lap.

He hugs me and holds me close, giving me kisses on my cheek and forehead.

"Shh, you're okay. I'm here. You're safe. It's okay."

I press into his chest, my breathing still in an unregular motion.

"Deep breaths, y/n. Slowly."

My chest shivers as I try to breathe in deeply.

"That's good. I've got you." he whispers, making me calm down.

My breath slows down, getting to a steady pace.

Steve continues whispering calming things into my ear, stroking my back, drawing circles on my lower back with his other hand.

"Shh, it's okay." he continues to whisper, giving me another kiss on the forehead.

Steve strokes my arm and now starts blowing wind on my neck to cool me down.

I shiver while breathing and pull myself closer to him.

"What's going on?" he asks and I take deep breaths, intertwining my fingers in his.

The sound of the rain soothes me and i cuddle deeper into his strong chest and arms, protecting me from the world.

"I-" I start but I get choked up again.

"Shh, take a deep breath."

I do so, and try again.

"I had another nightmare." I manage to bring out.

"What happened?" he asks in a quiet and soft voice, his tone getting more worried.

"The- the scientist. He- was telling me about my Achluophobia. Showing me what I'm afraid of. I have no idea who he is I-" my voice cracks up, shutting my throat and making me let out a small whimper.

"Shh," he strokes my hair, sliding me off his chest and under the sheets to his side where I'm warmer.

"Hey, listen." Steve leans himself on his elbow, looking down at me.

One of his hands strokes my cheek, cleaning off the tears.

"You're safe here. No one is going to get you. I will protect you with my life." he stresses the 'life' and leans down nearer to me.

Before his lips touch mine, he looks me in the eyes.

I marvel at the blue in his eyes and give out a small smile.

"That's my girl." he whispers and kisses me.

And the kiss is filled with love. Not lust or neediness. Just love and promise.

I close my eyes, letting myself melt into the feeling of his lips on mine.

Before I acknowledge what's happening, Steve climbed out of the bed and turned off the chandelier, lighting some candles.

He comes back to me and holds onto me.

"Look into the light." he says, kissing my forehead and stroking my arm.

I turn my head towards the candle at the end of the bed and stare into the flame.

It flickers a little and shakes, but doesn't stop burning.

"That's what you mean to me, y/n. You're the flame in my heart. Even if you fall and stumble, you get back up and try again. You represent hope. And if someone were to try and put you out,"

Steve puts a hand in front of the candle before trying to blow it out.

It goes a little dark and then shine's back, brighter than before.

"I'll be there to save you. Always."

He pulls me into his body.

"You're my flame. My ember."

His voice doesn't shake or shiver.

He means it and he'll do it for the rest of his life.

"Thank you." I whisper, leaning into him.

He smiles, seeing me cuddle into him and doze off into a deep sleep without dreams.

Steve kisses my forehead one more time before blowing out the candles and falling asleep next to me.

He'll be there for me.

Always.