Chapter 1: Daily Struggle

I woke up to the sound of a blood curdling scream and the sound of a swift punch. I knew it was my mother and father fighting. What else is new? He probably came home drunk again... This happens almost every night.

"Jooooe! Stop it." my mother screamed.

I hate when this happens but my Mom lets it happen to her. She could have divorced him a long time ago. I hop up from my bed and investigate it and try to put an end to this. I creak open the door, and see my mother on the floor shielding her face from my father's iron-like punches.

"Dad! Stop it you're hurting her!" I scream, My father turns around and swiftly grazes my face with one of his punches. It knocked the wind out of me, and causes me to land on the ground with a thud.

"What did I tell you about inter-fering Susie!" My dad slurred. I put my hand to my lip and looked at my fingers, to find blood on them. I gave my father a cold stare.

I gave my father a cold stare, "Are you really that drunk that you can't even remember your own daugter's name. It's Summer!" I said coldly. I stared stright into my father's bloodshot eyes. He started to take off his leather belt, I knew that belt very well and I knew that he used it for more than holding up his pants.

"So, you want to be a smartass? Huh!?" my dad yelled. My eyes grew wide as he lifted the hand he held his belt in.

"Dad, please do-." I was cut off by the whip of his belt. I felt it repeateldy until my body went numb and I blacked out.

I awoke to the sound of my mother's voice

"Summer, sweetheart, wake up." she whispered. My eyes flutter open trying to make sense of where I was, what time it was and most of all make sense of the world.

"Is he still he-re?" I whisper back.

"No, he left. Probably off to drink some more, no doubt about that." she said sadly. I looked a her bruised cheek and winced because of the color and size of it. I lightly touched it and she winced in pain.

"Why?" I said

"Deep down I still love the jerk." she responds.

"Don't. He's not good for us. We both almost ended up in the hospital. Or worse we could have end up dead," I retort.

"Sleep. You can stay home from school today." she said avoiding my statement.

"Your just bringing it on yourself if you let him stay and treat us like this. Don't you love me?" I said with anger and sorrow.

"Maybe it will change and be different tomorr-"

"No, it's never different. It's the same old thing everytime he drinks." I hissed. I get up and with every movement pain ravages my body. "I'm going to school. I can't stay in this house any longer." I say without making eye contact with her. With that being said she slowly gets up and leaves my room while closing the door behind her.