Chapter 3: Confessions

I smiled at him as a tear fell from my eye. Corey smiled back and picked me up and spun me around. I giggled at the sheer happiness that I felt.

"Wow, you look so different Summer!" Corey exclaimed. He put me down and we looked at each other. Marveling over each other's growth and beauty. Well at least his beauty. I don't think much of myself. But, at least Corey did.

"In a bad way though..." I said with pity looming in my voice.

"No, in a good way Summer. You've turned into a woman. I mean you have really filled out!" Corey said playfully. I smacked him on the arm.

"Ow! What it's true. You're not a twelve year old girl anymore." Corey said.

"Well, I would expect not to be after six years." I said sarcastically. We stood and smiled at each other.

"Hey, why don't you come over, and say 'hi' to my mom. I'm sure she misses you." Corey said hopefully. I didn't even contemplate it. I didn't want to go home yet. So, I nodded my head in agreement.

We talked all the way to his house; just catching up with each other. We got to his door and he unlocked it. When we entered memories of being there flooded back to me instantly.

"Wow, still looks the same." I said amazed. Corey turned his head towards me and gave me his famous half smile that I always adored. I smiled back at him. Corey's mom walked in just then.

"Hey, Corey How was scho- Summer, Is that you!?" Corey's mom said in shock.

"Hi, Mrs. Haim." I said polietly. She proceeded to wrap me in a hug; which caught me by surprise.

"Nice to see you, sweetheart! How have you been?" She asked as she let go of me. But, her expression changed when she noticed my face.

"What happened to you?" she questioned. My eyes grew wide. Nobody else knew about the abuse but Corey. I stumbled to find words.

"U-uh, bicycle accident. It was minor. I'm fine." I lied. She contorted her face with suspicion. But, ultimatley let it go.

"Ok...I guess you would know." she said.

"Well, I guess. I'll let you two catch up." she said with a wry smile. She walked into the living room and out of sight.

"Are you ok?" Corey asked. I smiled and nodded at him indicating that I was fine. We continued to Corey's room. I walked in his room and glanced around. Finding that it was still sort of the same as before. But, there were little changes like his dinosaur sheets were gone and replaced with blue cotton sheets.

"It looks sort of different." I stated. I grazed my hand over his hockey awards from Canada and made my way to his bed to sit. I proceeded to unzip my hoodie and release my hair from it's pony. I let my long black hair flow down my shoulers. I didn't realize that Corey was studying me. I looked up and raised my brow. Which hurt my bruised eye.

"Corey, Are you ok?" I asked. He snapped out of his daze.

"Yea, I'm fine. I just can't believe how different you look." he said. I shrugged my shoulders.

"I guess..." I responded with ease

I started to shed tears. Corey sat on the bed and pulled me to his side to comfort me. He didn't even ask me what was wrong. Because he knew right away, that it was about the abuse I suffered.

"If I could I'd take your pain away. I would." Corey whispered into my ear. He caressed my face lightly. So, he wouldn't put too much pressure on my bruise. I looked up at Corey's face and he looked back at me with pain and sorrow in his eyes. I kept my eyes fixed on his crystal blue ones. I swollowed a lump that was in my throat.

Corey was leaning into me. I was surprised so I turned my head. Instead he nuzzled my cheek and neck.

"Corey..." I said.

He looked at me with pain in eyes.

"Yea." he said quielty.

"Wh-at is this?" I asked.

"I don't know. But, I kind... of like it." Corey said looking at me with not only pain but...love.

"I don't want to drag you into a relationship with me. I have a lot of baggage... As my best friend you know more than anyone about that. But, you should be with someone who doesn't carry a ball and chain everywhere they walk." I whispered.

"But, what if I want this? I've always cared about you Summer. I want you to feel safe, wanted and most of all loved." Corey stated.

"I don't want to ruin this friendship. Most of all I don't want you to feel like you have to be with me." I choked out. I've had feelings for Corey for years. So, it was hard for me to say this. I would have never thought that he would feel this way for me.

"It wouldn't. We've always been close. I've never been closer to any other girl than you. I would never want to be in a relationship where I felt an obligation. Only on the fact that I love the girl. I love you Summer. I always have." he stated. My heart was torn. I looked at him and didn't know what to do. I never had a guy express his love for me before. So, I did the only thing I ever knew and that was to run.

"Well, don't!" I said harshly. I grabbed my bag and left without another word. I felt I was protecting him for his own good.

"Summ-" was all I heard before I slammed his door.