Chapter 5: Confused

My eyes flutter open and I try to make sense of where I am. I have an I.V. in my arm, as well, as a bandage on my right arm. I sit up and look to my left and see a sleeping Corey. I smile to myself. A nurse walks in with a clipboard.

"Hi, Summer Leaf. Right?" the nurse asked with a smile.

"Yea, Hi." I say quietly trying to produce a smile.

"I just need you to confirm a couple of things." she said. I agree and confirm my birthdate, age and she checked my vital signs, "Now, can you tell me why your here?" she asked politely.

"I...u-uh." I stutter.

"You need to tell me if someone is hurting you. This, young man over here didn't want to say anything, unitl we talked to you." the nurse said. I thought about it for a few seconds. I don't want my mom to get in trouble and my father will probably go to jail. But, I have to do this for myself because I can't take it anymore.

"I...u-um. My father abuses me and my Mom frequently." I say quielty while avoiding eye contact.

"Do you want to press char-." I cut her off.

"I'm sorry. I just want to get out of here" I cried. She rubs my shoulder with an understanding. With no further protest from her. I lay back down and rub my eyes with hands.

"You told her... Why didn't you want to press charges?" Corey said with a hint of anger.

"Corey, I just want to relax for once, without a battle." I say taking a deep breath. Corey rubs his eyes and looks up at me.

"Your not going back to that house are you?" he questioned me with genuine concern. God I love his caring nature.

"I don't know where I'm going Corey."

"You can come live with me." he said staring at me like I was the only in the world. I turned away and played with the bandage on my arm.

"Are you sure?" I asked not knowing if it was a legitimate offer. Corey got up and sat on the edge of the bed, and held my hands.

"I'd do anything for you Summer. I told you I would protect you." Corey said with ghost of tears threatening to fall.

"Thank you, Cor." I say smiling.

I was eventually released from the hospital and Corey helped me into his car. We headed to his house. When we entered Corey's mom came towards me and enveloped me in a big hug.

"Summer, sweetheart. Are you ok?" she asked desperately wanting to know. I was confused and I looked at Corey, but, he turned his head with a smile playing on his lips.

"Summer, Corey told me everything. Don't be upset I won't tell a soul. But, when he called to ask if you could stay here. I asked why and he explained." she rambled.

"It's fine. I'm glad you know. I've been hiding this too long." I say with a smile.

"I have a guest room you can stay in. Hopefully, that will be fine?" she asked

"Yea, that's totally fine. Thank you so much." I smile at her.

"Oh, and another thing our bathroom is being renovated. So, you'll have to share Corey's bathroom. No, sneaking into the guest room Corey" she added jokingly. I nodded with a slight blush.

"Mom, really?" Corey said embarassed.

"I'm just kidding. I know you guys are best friends." Judy said before exiting to go cook dinner. Corey shook his head.

"I'll let you go get changed and shower." Corey said. I nodded and headed upstairs to his bedroom bathroom. I stepped in to the shower, paying special attention to my injured arm. I get out changed into a clean shirt and sweatpants to sleep in. I towel-dried my hair and brush my long hair. I look at myself in the bathroom mirror and stare at my healing bruises. My grey eyes stare back at me with pain and hurt. I walk out of the bathroom to find Corey sitting on his bed. I stop in the doorway and look at Corey with appreciation.

"I remember that shirt." Corey says pointing at me. I look down and remeber the day Corey bought it for me at the fair. It says Santa Carla fair with a picture of a merry-go-round.

"Yea, me too." I respond with a half smile.

"Come on. Let's go eat." I nodded in agreement.

The dinner was delicious. I haven't had home cooked food in a while. After dinner me and Corey headed upstairs to hangout in his room for a little while.

"So, Corey how was Cananda?" I asked curious. Corey sat on the floor and leaned against the bed.

"It was fine. I got to bond with my dad on hockey." Corey smiled. I propped myself up on my elbows on Corey's bed.

That's great!" I smiled, "Did you have any girlfriends there?" I said playfully and curious at the same time. Corey looked at me and arched his eyebrow.

"What? It's a valid question?" I said with a smile. Corey gave me his cute half-smile.

"Yea, not a lot. Just two... at seperate times of course." he laughed.

"Did you love them?" not knowing why I wanted to know. Corey turned away.

"Well, the first one Sarah I dated for two years. But, we realized we were much more friends than a couple. Then there was Alyssa. I kind of did love her. But, broke up with her a couple of months before I left." Corey said sheepishly.

"Oh..." I said sounding dissappointed. Corey caught that and caressed my face.

"Well, there was this other girl that I definitely knew I was in love with for years." Corey stated. My heart sank instantly. Corey loved somebody else, "You Summer. You know that. But, you kind of rejected me." he said sheepishly.

"I just don't want to ruin anything that I have with you as a friend." I tried to state my case. But failing to even convince my self. I didn't know how to do the whole girlfriend thing. I've always been told I was worthless.

"It's fine you should get some sleep." Corey said with a wry smile.

"Yea, I u-uh...should." I stuttered.

I make my way to the guest room and turn the bedroom light out, and crawl under the covers. I felt alone in the room. I yearned for Corey's embrace. I fell asleep within a couple of minutes. But, a nightmare ensued about my father. I woke up screaming.

"Shhh...sh..sh. I'm here Summer." Corey assured me.

I was breathing rapidly. Corey got under the covers with me and embraced me. Like, only Corey can do. I was pressed up against Corey's chest and was calmed by his soothing voice.

"I'm here. I'm here..." he whispered.

I looked up at Corey and without warning I started to kiss him. Corey was taken by surprise at first, but, started to kiss back. Corey broke the kiss and he was breathing hard.