Chapter 4: Run

I headed home from Corey's house. I feel really bad about how I reacted towards Corey. But, I just can't put him through the trials and tribulations of being with me. I kind of always wanted to be with Corey. But, I don't think I'll ever be in a place to be in realtionship because of the way things are in my life. I'm not sure of much anymore. It really scares me.

I don't want to go through my front door and draw any attention to myself. So, I enter through my window quietly.

I go in to my bathroom and look at my battered face in the mirror. I take a shower to think about things. I sit down on the bottom of shower and bring my knees up to wrap my arms around them. I start shedding tears. I hope one day I can go a day without crying or worrying about things. I get out, dry off and change to my usual t-shirt and sweatpants.

I shut off my lights and crawl under my sheets. I don't bother to eat dinner, I don't want to run into my father if he is drunk, or let alone even here. I go without eating a lot. My mom doesn't bother to cook much either, because it always ends up on the floor by my father. I mostly have to do the cooking in the house. I love my mother, but, it's hard to when she lets this go on.

I try falling asleep, but, I am woken up by yelling and incoherent talking. I pull my blankets over my head and weep as I continue to listen to the madenss surrounding me. These are the times I wish Corey was here to comfort me.

I'm startled by a tapping on my window. I get up and investigate it. I pull my curtains aside and reveal Corey standing there. I feel a smile tugging at my lips. I open the window and step back to give Corey room to slide through the window. I close the window when he is through. He's wearing a muscle tee and baggy shorts; which reveal his toned legs and biceps.

Without having to exchange words I walk to my bed and lay down. Corey follows suit and lays down with one hand behind his head. I lay my head on his chest and he gently strokes my hair. I wrap one arm around his midsection. We both lay there quietly covered with my blanket.

Unitl corey breaks the silence, "Don't worry. I'm here... Nothing more and nothing less." Corey said trying hard to force the words out.

"Corey, I'm s-"

"Don't worry about it Summer." he said looking away.

I prop myself up on my elbows. I look at him and he stares back at me. I give him a peck on the cheek and retreat back to laying my head on his chest. I hear Corey sigh. The thrashing continues while me and Corey lay there.

"I was kind of wishing you were here, before you even showed up." I said

"Remember what I told you? I vow to always protect you." Corey says

"Thanks..." I say drifting off to sleep.

"I love you, Summer." Corey whispers.

I woke up to a dark room and a sleeping Corey. I check my clock and it's only twelve o'clock in the morning.

My stomach is rumbling so bad. I decide to go out to the kitchen and make a sandwich to relieve the hunger pangs. I carefully remove Corey's arm and tiptoe out of the room. I walk quietly as to not wake anyone up. I go to the fridge and grab the stuff for a sancwhich. When I turn around my father is standing there with his trademark blooshot eyes. My heart stops at the sight of him.

"So, y-ou're gooo...nna make me a sandwich. How nice." he says drunkly.

I stand there not knowing what to say. I nod my head and proceed to make him his sandwich. But, he puts his arm in my way.

"Yes, Sir. You have no manners. Say it." he hisses. He grabs my hair and says "Now!" he yells.

"Yes, S-." I'm cut off by his smack and all the food goes flying.

"On second thought keep your mouth shut. You little bitch." his hissed, "Your just like your mother useless and worthless." he added insult to injury.

"Sorry." I say afraid of what might happen. I close my eyes.

"I tell you to shut up and you can't even do that." he says with disgust. He goes to one of the draws and picks up a knife, "Well, I'm just gom-na teach you a lesson, you little bitch." slurring his words once again. My eyes grew wide with horror. He raises the knife.

"Ahhhh!" I scream and get up slipping on the food. My father grabs my arm.

"Stop, squirming!" he yells. I yank my arm and I feel the metal slice through my lower arm as run to my room. I cover the cut to stop the bleeding. He must be really drunk if he pulls a knife out on me. It's never gone this far involving a knife. I make my way to my room and slam the door shut, and lock it.

"Open up! You need to be taught a lesson." he says while banging on the door. I turn around to see Corey woken up by the noise. Corey gets up and rushes towards me the look of horror on his face.

"Summer, what happened!?" he asked with urgency. I start bawling, and didn't realize how much I was bleeding, when I raised my hand to my face and noticed blood running down my hand.

I grab a bag and start stuffing clothes into it.

"Corey, help me! I need get out of he-re." I whimpered. Without any objections he helped pack my bag. Corey helped me through my bedroom window. Corey proceeded to pick me up and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Corey gently place me in the passenger seat of his car.

"Corey... Take me away. Please?" I end up passing out in the car from the blood loss.